Is My Betta Okay? Is This Fin Rot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by 0Kaz0, Apr 13, 2017.

1. 0Kaz0

0Kaz0 New Member Member

Hello, I'm concerned about my betta's health. I got him from PetSmart about 2 years ago and he's been doing pretty well. He started out in an unheated 1.5 gallon tank, and has been moved into a heated and filtered 10 gallon tank with some plants and some small seashells (about 4).
    I had some plastic plants that were slightly spikey at first, but I changed to one live plant, and some smooth plastic plants.
    His fins are beginning to look strange and I don't know if he is sick or injured. He is pretty active and will come up to me when I come near him, either to eat (I feed him 4-5 pellets a day, and 1-2 dried bloodworms every few days) or to flare up (he doesn't often, he's more shy than aggressive.
    I hope to get some advice on here on if he has a problem or not, and if so, what I can do to help him.

Also, a couple months ago, I had a friend watch him while I went on vacation, and their cat knocked his tank off the table. (poor baby! [​IMG] )

I'm sorry for so writing so much, but I just really want to give him a nice life and make sure I'm taking care of him correctly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you <3

Attached Files:

2. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBetta Valued Member Member

In my opinion, all fins but his dorsal fin look very healthy, but I am not an expert on fin rot. Has the dorsal fin always been short? Do you have any photos of him before his fins changed for comparison? Have you done a water test recently? If so, what were the results?:)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    0Kaz0

0Kaz0 New Member Member

The only old picture I could find of him is really dark, but I do remember when I first got him his dorsal fin kind of zig zagged up. Now it looks like he is missing some. I don't know if this would just be damage or something wrong with him. I wonder if he will grow it back maybe?
    I got my water tested today with those little strips and plan on doing a 20-25% water change later today.
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 1.0
    Hardness: 150
    Chlorine: 0
    Alkalinity: 120
    pH: 7.8

Attached Files:

4. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

What sort of filter do you have in your tank. It doesn't look like fin rot, it looks like the dorsal fin was torn off. Might have been caught in your filter's intake. Although his ventral fins do look a bit scraggly.

The best way to treat any sort of fin issues is daily 50% water changes to keep the water very very clean. It will help prevent any sort of infection to complicate things.

5. OP
    OP
    0Kaz0

0Kaz0 New Member Member

I didn't know if I should keep posting on this... but my betta now has a strange lump on his side.
    My filter is a Tetra Whisper 10i filter, and his heater is at about 78-79 degrees.
    My latest tests show no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrate is <20 (maybe 5-10)

I don't think his dorsal fin has had any change since I posted this, but now I'm concerned for the strange lump on him. He is still swimming around a lot and eating, and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of sickness.
    His scales are raised where the lump is, and when I shined a flashlight on him, there seemed to be a tiny hole on one of the scales in the middle of it. Could this be a parasite? I don't know what to do D:

Attached Files:

6. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

Looks to be parasitic? Maybe @CindiL can help me with this one.

He's older but not that old. The fact that he's acting normal and eating is great. I'm mostly concerned about his scales starting to protrude near the lump.

Great pics, btw, it helps.

7. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I am thinking that he has a cyst or ulcer starting. It is under his scales pushing out right? There is not a lot you can do for a cyst and they are very common in bettas. Now that he is two years old his immune system probably isn't as good as it used to be. If it continues growing and it bursts you'll want to dab it with some Hikari Biobandaid or Kordon methylene blue to keep it disinfected.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice