Is my betta okay? (Discoloration)

Fishyfishyfishman

Hello I have had my betta for around 8 months I believe but am not sure. He was in a 1g (I know i know) but is know in a 10 gallon with 5 endlers. He is non aggressive and the endlers dont nip his fins. He had fin rot but is healing/healed (has a little bit to go but has been healing fast) Tank is 76 degrees ph 7.8-7.4 0 ammonia 0 nitrite. The base of his fins are discolored and it is spreading around. I was temporarily concerned about dropsy but I believe he does NOT have it. Can anyone tell me what is happening with his fins? He appears to have a few scales missing on one side. Please tell me if there is something I can do or if this is normal.

Attachments

• 4AC8C2DD-4F45-401A-8C65-DBF923A5DEA0.jpeg
    4AC8C2DD-4F45-401A-8C65-DBF923A5DEA0.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 9
  • CB3C7377-DAE1-4770-ADCF-F4F5D1D41A8F.jpeg
    CB3C7377-DAE1-4770-ADCF-F4F5D1D41A8F.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 9

BigManAquatics

I can't see enough to tell much of anything. Looks like it could very easily be color changing.

Fishyfishyfishman

Can non-marble color change? I do not believe he is a marble but I could be wrong. The color only really shows up that bad against the light when illuminated from a certain angle. Thanks though

Rose of Sharon

Bettas can change color a bit, even if they don't have the marble gene. Their colors can deepen, or lighten with age. It's time for concern when their colors fade and they become pale. That's when it is a sign of stress.

When you see the edges of fins get black (not his natural color), or white (again not his natural color), and start to flake or recede, or the fin melts, or see red (indicating blood), then that is definitely a fin issue.

Is there something that he could have rubbed against that would have caused him to lose a scale? Some sharp or rough decor?

Fishyfishyfishman

It is definitely red. I have a rock that is a little sharp i suppose. It is not terribly sharp though. His fins are intact just becoming discolored.

Rose of Sharon

I would just keep a close eye on his fins to watch for more fin rot.

Dropsy is a condition that only happens when an infection has set in, and the kidneys/internal organs begin to shut down and fluid builds up in the body. You would see other symptoms if something like that were going on.

Your water parameters are fine. As long as you keep to your weekly water change schedule, that should be ok.

If you want to try a little aquarium salt, that won't hurt your endlers or your plants. If he does still have a fin issue, that will help it heal. I wouldn't use it for more than 2 weeks, though. And if you do, keep track of how much aquarium salt you add, and how much water you change. Aquarium salt can only be removed by water changes, and you wouldn't want to over dose.

Also, you can try adding some Indian almond leaves to your tank. The tannins they produce will tint the water brown, but the fish - both the betta and the endlers, will appreciate it. It helps relieve stress and has mild antibacterial and antifungal properties. Some fish keepers don't like it because they want really clear tanks, but the stuff does help the fish a lot.

Hope this helps!

Fishyfishyfishman

His initial fin rot was a while ago And its finally starting to completly heal back. It has only been getting better. I don’t know where I can get Indian almond leaves unfortunately. I have petsmart and petco mostly. I have another place that Ive never Been to before. I dont care if the water has some tannins expeccialy if it helps the fish. I might be able to order a few online though… Thank you so much I was starting to worry A lot

Rose of Sharon

I get my Indian almond leaves from Amazon. The other name for them is Catappa leaves, and both Petsmart and Petco used to carry them.

I don't recommend getting the extract version. I have heard lots of unfavorable things about extracts.

Fishyfishyfishman

I read about using oak, maple, and beech instead and I have a LOT of those. Is that a bad idea? Whats the best way to prepare them?

FoldedCheese

When my betta scrapped some scales off I was able to prevent infection and help him heal by doing a 25% WC every other day. Worked like a charm. Increasing your WCs might also help with his fins too.

Rose of Sharon

I read about using oak, maple, and beech instead and I have a LOT of those. Is that a bad idea? Whats the best way to prepare them?
I've read some threads here about people using oak leaves if they are brown ones and if they are free of pesticides. I would definitely recommend boiling them first to be safe. Don't want to accidentally get something in your tank that might cause a problem.

You can always do a search on this site for each type of leaf and see what threads you can find about the subject.

I have only ever used IAL, so I have no real experience with any other type of leaf.

Hope this helps!

Fishyfishyfishman

I did while at school and i found out about those other ones. Will definetly boil first.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishyfishyfishman
Replies
Views
wisecrackerz
Replies
Views
The_fishy
Replies
Views