Is my betta healthy?

paintbrushed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’ve had my female betta fish for about three months now (I adopted her from my sister who couldn’t care for her anymore). I believe she’s about 6 or 7 months old. She’s been pretty healthy since I’ve had her. I’ve had to move her to and from my college a couple times and she’s usually shaken up for a couple days but bounces back once she’s in her tank again. I moved her a few days ago so she developed a stress stripe, but it’s been fading since she’s been settled. I’m concerned about her because, for the last couple days, one of her gills has been popping out slightly, and I’m a bit worried that it might be hyperplasia. I don’t know how she would have gotten it since I’m careful to do a weekly 20% water change and to ensure that the tank is always clean. I don’t think any of the decor/plants (floating log, assorted ferns, marimo balls) could have hurt her either. My mom overfed her by mistake a few days ago (I usually feed her 2-3 Omega One pellets twice a day), but she doesn’t appear to have pinecone-like scales, just the abnormal gill. Also concerning - I’ve never seen her flare before, but she has a couple times today. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Tank specs/other info:
-5.2 gal
-pH ~ 7
-ammonia < .02 ppm
-79 degrees F
-heater, filter, and light
- I sometimes add in a few drops of betta fix when I change the water per the recommendation of a man I spoke to at an aquarium supply store. I don’t know if that could have an impact at all?

I would really appreciate some input from more experienced fishkeepers! Thank you for the help :)

Attachments

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your betta looks and sounds healthy, but if you want that health to continue, stop using Bettafix. It damages their labyrinth organ.
As for the flaring, it's normal. She might just be seeing her reflection in the glass.

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
paintbrushed said:
I’ve had my female betta fish for about three months now (I adopted her from my sister who couldn’t care for her anymore). I believe she’s about 6 or 7 months old. She’s been pretty healthy since I’ve had her. I’ve had to move her to and from my college a couple times and she’s usually shaken up for a couple days but bounces back once she’s in her tank again. I moved her a few days ago so she developed a stress stripe, but it’s been fading since she’s been settled. I’m concerned about her because, for the last couple days, one of her gills has been popping out slightly, and I’m a bit worried that it might be hyperplasia. I don’t know how she would have gotten it since I’m careful to do a weekly 20% water change and to ensure that the tank is always clean. I don’t think any of the decor/plants (floating log, assorted ferns, marimo balls) could have hurt her either. My mom overfed her by mistake a few days ago (I usually feed her 2-3 Omega One pellets twice a day), but she doesn’t appear to have pinecone-like scales, just the abnormal gill. Also concerning - I’ve never seen her flare before, but she has a couple times today. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Tank specs/other info:
-5.2 gal
-pH ~ 7
-ammonia < .02 ppm
-79 degrees F
-heater, filter, and light
- I sometimes add in a few drops of betta fix when I change the water per the recommendation of a man I spoke to at an aquarium supply store. I don’t know if that could have an impact at all?

I would really appreciate some input from more experienced fishkeepers! Thank you for the help :)
Welcome :)

I wouldn't worry about her gill - a lot of the time when bettas flare their gills might get caught a little, and as long as it isn't fully out, it should be fine. Does she seem to be breathing heavily?

Keep up with your water changes, you might want to be doing a few more to get your ammonia down to 0 (although it is minimal) as this could be causing stress.

I would stop using Bettafix as A. This is medication and should not be used all the time and B. There's no evidence to support the claims that bettafix can harm a betta due to the fact that they take in air from their labyrinth organ, but I wouldn't chance it, just to be safe.

All the best with your betta (she's beautiful!) and keep us updated!

OP
P

paintbrushed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much! I’ve changed her water a couple times and have only added her regular water conditioner. I’ve noticed that her right gill (my left) is still sort of flared out though. It’s most noticeable when she’s swimming. Has anyone had something similar happen with their betta before? Is it anything to worry about?

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My last betta addition came home with me because he had a very noticeable gill hyperplasia. Along with ammonia poisoning.
Since I got him into consistently zero ammonia conditions it has gone down and stayed down for the most part.
His tank gets 25% wc every 4-5 days now regardless of ‘good’ parameter results because I’ve noticed his gill shows very minor hyperplasia recurrence when I’ve let it go too long between wc. Too long being even one week.

My point is that your, beautiful!, betta there might just be ultra sensitive to their water conditions. Might try that 20% change every 4 days, get that ammonia to 0, and see how it’s going.

But I think they look good!

OP
P

paintbrushed

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Addictedtobettas said:
My last betta addition came home with me because he had a very noticeable gill hyperplasia. Along with ammonia poisoning.
Since I got him into consistently zero ammonia conditions it has gone down and stayed down for the most part.
His tank gets 25% wc every 4-5 days now regardless of ‘good’ parameter results because I’ve noticed his gill shows very minor hyperplasia recurrence when I’ve let it go too long between wc. Too long being even one week.

My point is that your, beautiful!, betta there might just be ultra sensitive to their water conditions. Might try that 20% change every 4 days, get that ammonia to 0, and see how it’s going.

But I think they look good!
Thank you! :)
Would you recommend any medication, or just the water changes?

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, I’m one that likes to use low dose aquarium salt and rooibos tea (for tannins, can use Indian almond leaves but tea is my personal pref) in new tanks and when fish are showing signs of being off but not quite able to put a finger on why.

I would personally go with those two additions and no medications. But that’s just how I’ve found my fish are their happiest. Not all fish keepers like aquarium salt but most use Indian almond leaves or some other tannins in their tanks on a regular basis.

Aquarium salt is not an every day/water change dosing for me, just when things seem off. I also use stressguard now and then - supposedly offers the electrolyte and slime coat benefits as aquarium salt but in different solution/dilution. Not 100% sure what it’s exact ingredients are but it neutralizes ammonia toxicity too so that could be helpful?

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
paintbrushed said:
Thank you! :)
Would you recommend any medication, or just the water changes?
One of my bettas had it and now he's alright after doing more frequent water changes and adding some tannis to the water. I would just keep doing water changes and maybe, as Addictedtobettas said, add some plain rooibos tea to the tank. I have some in all of my betta tanks, and I find it calms them well.

Good luck :)

New Threads