Is My Betta Healthy?

Nerptery

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He acts fine, I just get worried he may be ill occasionally since this is my first tank setup and I really want to make sure my boys are okay. He is in a tank with one nirate snail and another mystery snail.
His fins were like this when I got him, so that's fine I think.
Also according to the fish store I got him at, one of his eyes does have a defect.
But other than that, does he seem healthy? He acts normal, just I want to make sure there isn't something I'm missing.
Edit: I looked at the photo compared to others and he seems so skinny???? Is he unhealthy??? I feed him once every two days, am I starving him??
(Picture below)

Attachments

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Once every two days isn't much. You can feed him once every day if you want. Not sure what kind of food you feed, if pellets 3-4 a day will be fine. Skipping one day a week won't hurt him, either.

He looks fine, just a bit thin.

Hopefully you're aware of the nitrogen cycle, have a heater for him, and do weekly water changes.

Nerptery

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I do
Thank you for telling me, I was just worried I wasn't seeing something

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I feed mine twice a day! Typically I do two pellets in the morning and four at night (but I’m sure they don’t eat all of them, based on the amount of dirt and stuff I suck up during water changes!) But usually the snails will eat up any food the betta leaves behind. And yes, I think he looks pretty healthy. I also have a betta with an eyesight problem, so far it’s never caused any issues. Usually they can locate the food as long as they can smell it, and he knows his tank well enough to not injure himself on the decorations.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom