Is My Betta Fish Sick? (cotton Fin)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by KylieKay, Apr 20, 2018.

1. KylieKayNew MemberMember

Hi,
    Yesterday I noticed this strange white fluffy ball on the bottom half of our Betta's pelvic fin (? - the skinny red ones at the bottom) on one side. Since it didn't look like something that had attached itself to him but rather was growing on it, I looked it up. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like it could be this Cotton Fin Fungus.

I saw some advice to firstly clean the tank, so he got cleaned out, and in the process that part of his fin has come off, so there's no more evidence of any 'cotton' growths anywhere that I can see. But does this mean he's okay? Is there something I should be doing?

I'll attach a picture that I took of him/the fluff before it came off - it's not fantastic quality but hopefully you can see it.

Attached Files:

2. Rohit messValued MemberMember

It does reaembles like a cotton fungus but since it came off it may have been some leftover pellet with bacteria grown all over it that got stuck to his fin and fell off when you did the water change.
    In spite of this, i will suggest to keep a check on his fins (for finrot) and for similar fungal growth for next two weeks atleast.
    Also yer betta looks like mine, though yer has body more greenish blueish and mine is kinda darker towards purple violet kinda. May they are siblings who got separated during shipping...

3. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Ive seen my bettas siblings as well in others hands, its very cool. Your i dont think so as this blue color is very popular, (i just saw this color at the store). Anyways! That could have just been a piece of food, my betta too got it stuck to him lol who knows how? Ive had a betta with a real fungus and it did not fall off and it grows. Keep a eye on the area and keep the water clean and you should be good

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice