Is My Betta Fish Okay?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by laurenk99, Aug 25, 2019.

1. laurenk99

laurenk99New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the water volume of the tank? 5.5g (about 2.5 inches of space at top for my Betta to breathe)
    How long has the tank been running? 2 days
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes (50W)
    What is the water temperature? 77-78°F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) • (1) Blue Mustard Male Betta • (1) Amazon Sword • (2) Java Ferns • (1) Anubias • (1) Moss Ball • Pebble substrate • (2) Ornaments • (1) Thermometer, Heater, Low-Flow Filter • (1) Strip of LED lights

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? I plan to do so once a week
    How much of the water do you change? 25%
    What do you use to treat your water? API Quick Start, API Stress Coat Tap Water Conditioner, API pH Down
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I plan to do both

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes, using a bacteria starter by API.
    What do you use to test the water? API Liquid Master Test Kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    pH: 7.6 (working on lowering)

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? 2x a day
    How much do you feed your fish? Small pinch of flakes
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? TetraColor tropical flakes
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? I plan to give my fish the Omega One Freeze Dried Tubifex Worms as a treat once or twice a week

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 2 days
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 hours ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Small white / lighter yellow edge on his pectoral fins on both sides.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? Only added a tiny dosage of Stress Coat by API
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I believe if he has an illness it was contracted during his time sitting in a cup at Petsmart, where I just bought him from.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? I do not know this fish well enough yet to seem if his behavior has changed. Currently he hides in the corner of the tank often, behind the plants, which I figure is due to being in a new environment / normal Betta behavior in general. Sometimes he will rub up against the glass, but I feel this is because he sees his reflection and thinks it’s another Betta fish. (Planning on attaching a tank background around the tank)

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I purchased this fish 2 days ago at a Petsmart. He had been living in a tiny cup and because of the plastic, it was difficult to get a good look at my betta before purchasing due to the warped image. When I initially put him in my tank, he hid very often to the extent that for the first day I could not truly get a good look at him.

By today, the second day, he now will swim freely in the openings of the tank environment, and finally allowed me to get a proper look at him. I first noticed at this period that he has white edges along his pectoral fins. At times, they appear almost as a lighter yellow variant, but other times can appear white. On one hand, I would not be surprised if due to his poor conditions and care from PetSmart he contracted an illness such as Fin Rot. However, I’d like to note that the white edges are some what symmetrical and are on BOTH the left and the right pectoral fin. If this is an illness of some sort though, I would like to try to catch this as early as possible.

** Sorry for the low quality. Most of the time he is in hiding, or moving (obviously), and these were the best I could get. I circled the spots of white to make it easier to spot.

Notice in the first picture it doesn’t look white, more so like just a lighter yellow variant. Whereas in other pictures and lightings it appears white (even to the human eye)
    3E75C4A5-286F-4BA3-B3C9-7337BB98B024.61840A43-42AF-4AD0-8D6C-EE08FD67C4BF.ADBE5F88-0A4E-4DA1-8E62-CDE83D328241.

2. Repolie

RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,137
    Experience:
    4 years
    I don't see anything wrong with your betta. The white/yellow on the tips of his ventral fins is just natural colouration. The pH in your tank is perfectly fine and you don't need to change it.

3. OP
    OP
    laurenk99

laurenk99New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thank you very much for taking the time to read my post + the reassurance. My first assumption was that it was his natural color variance but I just wanted to play it safe. I’ll make sure to leave the pH as is too!

4. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to FishLore!

I agree that it doesn't appear that there is anything wrong, but I would just keep an eye on him (which you should be doing anyway).

Best of luck!

Become a Fishlore Member