Is My Betta Fish Ok??? Important

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Fizzy Izzy, Apr 19, 2018.

1. F

Fizzy Izzy New Member Member

I woke up this morning to feed my betta, Jeremy, and noticed what looks like a bubble right next to his left eye. Upon further inspection I also noticed an unusual clump or bump on the bottom of his dorsal fin. Does anyone know what this could be and how to treat it? I thought maybe popeye until I looked at his fin.

I just tested his water and I believe these are the results (I've included a photo just in case)
    pH: around 7 (used high pH test)
    ammonia: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 20 ppm
    Nothing unusual from my knowledge. I've been told nitrate levels should be under 40 ppm.
    20180419_090338.jpg
    Here are a few photos of what he looks like. I know his fins look a bit rough in general, he developed some fin rot in July a few weeks after I got him. At that time I treated him with some aquarium salt and I have seen improvement in his fins overtime. He lives in a 3 gallon tank with a carbon filter and a heater that keep the tank around 74 - 78 F.
    20180419_085347.jpg 20180419_085341.jpg 20180419_085356.jpg 20180419_085400.jpg
    Thank you for any and all help

2. DaloAquatics

DaloAquatics Valued Member Member

I don't know personally what that is with just those photos but I would start by putting some salt in his tank just in case. Hope he gets better :)

3. Aegnis

Aegnis Valued Member Member

I wouldn't put salt in the tank -- it's really bad for betta's labyrinth organ.

My hunch is that it's some sort of bacterial infection. How frequently do you do water changes?

4. OP
    OP
    F

I'd say every other week. I recently just went on a trip for a week so I did a full water change before I left and used an automatic feeder to give him two pellets twice a day while I was gone. Any recommendations on how to treat him for bacterial infection? I plan to do a water change today but is there anything I can give him?

5. Aegnis

In a 3 gallon tank, you should be doing 20% water changes every week or so. He probably got a bacterial infection from the water being too dirty. Do a 20% water change every day or every other day until you see some improvement, and maybe consider adding an almond leaf to his tank -- they have anti-bacterial properties are great natural cures for these sorts of things (they'll turn your water brown -- don't be alarmed).

Hope he feels better!

6. OP
    OP
    F

Thank you for the help! I'll give this a shot.

7. Aegnis

You're very welcome! Hope this helps and he sees some improvement soon!

8. WanhiBetta

WanhiBetta Valued Member Member

Agree with above, a 3g is small so you need frequent water changes. I personally do weekly 40% on my 10g betta tank, so I would do at least 50% in a 3g.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice