Is My Betta Fish Ok???

Fizzy Izzy

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to feed my betta, Jeremy, and noticed what looks like a bubble right next to his left eye. Upon further inspection I also noticed an unusual clump or bump on the bottom of his dorsal fin. Does anyone know what this could be and how to treat it? I thought maybe popeye until I looked at his fin.

I just tested his water and I believe these are the results (I've included a photo just in case)
pH: around 7 (used high pH test)
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20 ppm
Nothing unusual from my knowledge. I've been told nitrate levels should be under 40 ppm.
20180419_090338.jpg

Here are a few photos of what he looks like. I know his fins look a bit rough in general, he developed some fin rot in July a few weeks after I got him. At that time I treated him with some aquarium salt and I have seen improvement in his fins overtime. He lives in a 3 gallon tank with a carbon filter and a heater that keep the tank around 74 - 78 F.
20180419_085347.jpg
20180419_085341.jpg
20180419_085356.jpg
20180419_085400.jpg

Thank you for any and all help

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't know personally what that is with just those photos but I would start by putting some salt in his tank just in case. Hope he gets better

Aegnis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't put salt in the tank -- it's really bad for betta's labyrinth organ.

My hunch is that it's some sort of bacterial infection. How frequently do you do water changes?

Fizzy Izzy

Reaction score
Aegnis said:
I wouldn't put salt in the tank -- it's really bad for betta's labyrinth organ.

My hunch is that it's some sort of bacterial infection. How frequently do you do water changes?

I'd say every other week. I recently just went on a trip for a week so I did a full water change before I left and used an automatic feeder to give him two pellets twice a day while I was gone. Any recommendations on how to treat him for bacterial infection? I plan to do a water change today but is there anything I can give him?

Aegnis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fizzy Izzy said:
I'd say every other week. I recently just went on a trip for a week so I did a full water change before I left and used an automatic feeder to give him two pellets twice a day while I was gone. Any recommendations on how to treat him for bacterial infection? I plan to do a water change today but is there anything I can give him?
In a 3 gallon tank, you should be doing 20% water changes every week or so. He probably got a bacterial infection from the water being too dirty. Do a 20% water change every day or every other day until you see some improvement, and maybe consider adding an almond leaf to his tank -- they have anti-bacterial properties are great natural cures for these sorts of things (they'll turn your water brown -- don't be alarmed).

Hope he feels better!

Fizzy Izzy

Reaction score
Aegnis said:
In a 3 gallon tank, you should be doing 20% water changes every week or so. He probably got a bacterial infection from the water being too dirty. Do a 20% water change every day or every other day until you see some improvement, and maybe consider adding an almond leaf to his tank -- they have anti-bacterial properties are great natural cures for these sorts of things (they'll turn your water brown -- don't be alarmed).

Hope he feels better!
Thank you for the help! I'll give this a shot.

Aegnis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fizzy Izzy said:
Thank you for the help! I'll give this a shot.
You're very welcome! Hope this helps and he sees some improvement soon!

WanhiBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Agree with above, a 3 gallon is small so you need frequent water changes. I personally do weekly 40% on my 10 gallon betta tank, so I would do at least 50% in a 3 gallon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom