Is My Betta Emaciated?

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I walked into Petco for a new shrimp tank, and walked out with a wonderfully handsome new betta (and a shrimp tank). He was on sale since he had been in the store for too long. I could not resist him.

He seems active for someone whi has been living in a cup for over a month. He also seems skinny, but i’m honestly not sure if that’s normal. Is his belly sunken? Do i need to take any special care in feeding him if he is emaciated? I gave him a few Bug Bites tonight and can give him frozen bloodworms tomorrow.

Attachments

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh yeah he does look a little skinny. Slowly increase the amount you feed him during meals. He also has fin rot, clean water should fix it. Other than that, he looks fine.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh yeah he does look a little skinny. Slowly increase the amount you feed him during meals. Other than that, he looks fine.
Yay, i am glad to hear it! How much should i start with feeding him?

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh yeah he does look a little skinny. Slowly increase the amount you feed him during meals. He also has fin rot, clean water should fix it. Other than that, he looks fine.
Is there anything else i should do for fin rot?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He looks hungry, I can see it in his eyes.
Anyways, my betta won’t fatten up no matter how much I feed him.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He looks hungry, I can see it in his eyes.
Anyways, my betta won’t fatten up no matter how much I feed him.
I love his eyes. His name is Banshee. He looks like a ghost.

He acts hungry! I thought he would be more lethargic from living in a cup his whole life, but he zooms all over the tank when i put food in.

Biiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aww he does look a bit skinny! With a bit of TLC he looks like he’s going to be a beautiful fish. His poor fins need some nice clean water to recover. Good luck!

FishFor2018

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i feed my betta's (3) Betta Pellets and a frezze dried bloodworm twice a day and they are all super healthy (besides my one that bites his fins to swim faster :banghead: ) maybe you could try that? for the fin/tail just clean warm water!

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
His fin rot looks like it has gone away! He has been eating great.

Should i get a betta specific pellet? I am feeding him Bug Bites, the cichlid formula. The peices are small enough to easily fit in his mouth.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes get betta pellets. African cichlids require less protein, more plant/algae matter.
Awesome, thanks! It looks like there is a betta formula of Bug Bites. I will pick some up today. I hope they are slow sinking as well. I know bettas are supposed to be top feeders but he seems to like swimming around to get his food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom