Is my betta community tank compatible?

zeezMOG

Hi, so I'm planning to setup a 19 gallon tank its 27.5" long, 11.8" deep and 13.7 high. The filter is going to be an aquaponics grow pot, and I'll plant nutrient demanding plants so it should be powerful, it will be sanded and some slow and low light plants and driftwood

I'm planning on getting a female betta, it was raised in a sorority tank by the seller and it isn't aggressive in the video he sent.
4-5 Cory
4-5 oto
And 6+ tetras I want blue king tetras but some say the are fin nippers, if its true I'll just get neon tetras.
And I do have a poppy pipe and air stone for origination.

AggressiveAquatics

What type of corys? I’d say don’t do the ottos and you’ll be fully stocked IMO
Also I’d do cardinal tetras instead of neons. They are a lot hardier

Upvote 0

zeezMOG

I'm not sure maybe pandas or albino?
But thanks alot!

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

For pandas I’d recommend a 20 long at the minimum. What other types do you like? But maybe a 19 could work I’ve never done it so you would need other input

Upvote 0

zeezMOG

Albino cory

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I think pandas could be ok. I’ve seen albinos get huge.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I recommend removing the otos, adding more tetras, and adding 1 or 2 corydoras. Also, albino corydoras are the hardiest corydoras.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

Welcome to the forum. Have you considered pygmy corys (corydoras pygmaeus)? They would do well in a small tank. I agree that albinos would probably get too large. The pygmys are small enough to allow a good-sized school.

I recommend removing the otos, adding more tetras, and adding 1 or 2 corydoras. Also, albino corydoras are the hardiest corydoras.

I agree about removing the otos and maybe adding a few tetras, but I will respectfully disagree with most of the rest. I wouldn't keep corys in groups of less than 6, and 8 is better.

Also, I'm curious about your statement that albino corys are the hardiest. They aren't a separate species. I believe most of the ones sold in stores are the same species as Bronze corys (Corydoras aeneus), but there are albino varieties of other species. As far as I know bronze corys are hardy, but I don't know that they're any hardier than many other species.

Upvote 0

zeezMOG

Welcome to the forum. Have you considered pygmy corys (corydoras pygmaeus)? They would do well in a small tank. I agree that albinos would probably get too large. The pygmys are small enough to allow a good-sized school.

I agree about removing the otos and maybe adding a few tetras, but I will respectfully disagree with most of the rest. I wouldn't keep corys in groups of less than 6, and 8 is better.

Also, I'm curious about your statement that albino corys are the hardiest. They aren't a separate species. I believe most of the ones sold in stores are the same species as Bronze corys (Corydoras aeneus), but there are albino varieties of other species. As far as I know bronze corys are hardy, but I don't know that they're any hardier than many other species.
I actually live in Saudi Arabia and I don't think we have that much variety of fish I would love many types of fish but I don't know if they are sold here I just heard the most about albino and panda cory so I guessed they might be the most popular and I might be able to find them here but those pygmys looked more beautiful than the pandas I really hope I can find them. Thanks alot btw

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I agree

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ouse
  • Question
Replies
Views
NofishB4
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Little betta help!