Is My Bandit Cory Sick? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by RespectedStarfish, Apr 22, 2018.

1. RespectedStarfishNew MemberMember

My bandit cory has been lethargic and looks slightly pale to me, I'm worried they might be sick. My other cory meanwhile has been active and filtering through the sand. My water paremeters are:

0 ppm nitrite
    0 ppm ammonia
    20 ppm nitrate
    5Kh hardness
    20180422_163222.jpg20180422_163124.jpg20180422_163148.jpg

2. Theblitchwitch

TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

Hello RespectedStarfish!

A lethargic or discoloured cory catfish could mean a number of things. It could be less active due to not having enough tankmates(Cory catfish should be in groups of 5), improper diet, or imbalance in the tank.
    The levels that you mentioned seem to be okay, so long as your nitrates don't go above 20ppm. I normally recommend a nitrate level of 5 to 10 ppm but this information can vary from fish to fish. High nitrates can stress cory catfish or cause disease as they are sensitive to them.
    Make sure that your pH is balanced and the temperature is between 72 to 78°F.
    If you only have two cory catfish, I would say to get three more if your tank has the room for it. They're shoaling fish and very socialable! They truly thrive when they have the company of their own species.
    As far as diet, they eat bottom feeder pellets(ex. shrimp pellets), cory catfish wafers/algae wafers, and even some vegetables.

I hope your cory starts perking up and being active soon!

3. OP
    OP
    R

RespectedStarfishNew MemberMember

I forgot to mention another cory recently passed and the ph of my tank is 6.8

And the temp is 78 degrees

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  4. Theblitchwitch

TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

Cory catfish typically require a pH of 7.0 - 7.8. I would recommend increasing your pH levels, lowering your nitrate levels, and eventually getting your corydoras some tank mates! You can look into pH buffers or pH neutralizers. A water change will help with your nitrates as well, but I recommend Prime. It is a fantastic product for those who have nitrate levels that are above average. Of course, these are just general recommendations based on my knowledge of fish keeping. I would do your own research as much as possible.

Good luck!

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Sorry to say but I wouldn't mess with the Ph. It is perfect at 6.8.

Nitrates of 20 and temp aren't an issue as well.

It looks skinny though. Corys are 99% on the carnivorious side of the spectrum.
    So shrimppellets, bloodworm, brineshrimp, etc etc are good. They won't hardly get any nutrition from algaewafers or vegs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice