Is My Baby Boy Betta A Girl?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Megd143, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Megd143

Megd143New MemberMember

I bought a baby betta from Petco yesterday, and I think he may be a she. It has a noticible white spot on it's underside. It is very active and curious and if it catches it's reflection in the tank it will stop and kind of posture at it. Any thoughts? Also, I think it may be a plakat fin type? Or is it too soon to tell?

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

It’s a bit too soon. I bought a baby girl that had its ovipositor at a Petco to only find that it was an immature male a month later. I would just wait a month or 2.

3. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

It’s likely that it is a female, but as discus said it may still be a male. Young males occasionally have false egg spots. You’ll need to wait till she’s older to get an accurate sex and tail.

4. OP
    OP
    Megd143

Megd143New MemberMember

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too soon to tell for sure, It's going to be a fun surprise either way!

5. Taylover26

Taylover26New MemberMember

It’s probably too soon to tell. It’ll be fun to watch the little fish change and grow :) babies are fun for sure!

6. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Need a close up but just by looking at body shape you can see a lot of weight in the front belly area, which is characteristic of females.

7. OP
    OP
    Megd143

Megd143New MemberMember

Picture update

Attached Files:

8. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Yep, she is definitely a she :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice