Is my aquarium overstocked?

1. Camille Member Member

Hello,

I have a 29 gallon aquarium and I was wondering if I overstocked it...

The fish I have are:
    1 powder blue gourami
    1 red wag platy
    4 guppies
    1 bronze corydoras
    1 algae eater
    1 angelicus botias
    3 glofish
    1 harlequin rasboras
    3 skirt fish
    3 black neon tetras

Do I have too many fish for my tank? If so please tell me.

Thank you,
    Camille:animal0028:

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore camille!!
    it depends on what type of algae eater you have...if its a common, then yes you are as they are huge waste producers..if its another type, no you arent ....and your cories , botias, and black skirts would like bigger schools to be happy ...

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome, camille! I agree with shawnie. You also want to be careful of your glofish/danios. Sometimes they will show aggression if not in a school of at least 6. I had this problem when i had 3, but when i brought them up to 6, it got much better.

what kind of filter do you have?

4. Camille Member Member

Hi!

I'm not sure what kind of algae eater I have... He is pretty small, brown with faint dark brown stripes, and he has a sucker mouth. I have had him for a few years and he does not seem like a "waste producer" he actually keeps my aquarium clean and algae free. I kind of figured my cories, botias, and black skirts would be happier in bigger schools but I was worried about overstocking, do you think that I could fit more fish in my tank?

Thank you so much for the advice!
    -Camille :animal0028:

5. Camille Member Member

Do you think if I got more glofish, cories, black skirts, and botias I would be overstocking my tank? If not I will take your advice and go get more fish.

I have a topfin power filter 40 it says that it's for aquariums up to 40 gallons.

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it!
    -Camille :animal0028:

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

personally, i think you have too many different kinds of fish. if you are able to return some to the store so that you can complete your schools, that would be for the best.

maybe take back the cory, botias, and black skirts. then bring your danios up to 6 and your black neon tetras up to 6-7?

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think you're overstocked in that you have too many different kinds of fish in your tank. I agree that the tank will look better with a few larger schools rather than a lot of individual fish.

8. Camille Member Member

I can't really return them to the store... I've had my aquarium since 2004. I started out with large schools of fish but then some of the members slowly died off over the years and I just kept getting more different kinds of fish till my aquarium became what it is now, all mixed up and overstocked...But I have good news! My uncle told me this morning that I could have his 20 gallon tank to fill it with more fishies. Here is what I plan to do to sort out my aquariums:

The fish that are going into the new 20 gal. tank:
    6 danios
    2 angelicus botias
    6 black neon tetras
    1 algae eater
    1 red wag platy
    5 harlequin rasboras

The fish I'm keeping in the old 29 gal. tank:
    6 guppies
    4 platies
    1 powder blue gourami
    5 glofish
    5 skirt fish
    3 corydoras

I split up the fish from my old tank and added new fish to fill out my schools. What do you think, it that a good idea?

Thanks again!!!

9. Camille Member Member

Yeah, I know. Like I told Meenu I had originally started out with larger schools of fish but over the years members of the schools died off and I kept getting more fish till my aquarium became what it is now, mixed up and overstocked. But I have a solution! My uncle is going to give me his 20 gal. tank. This is how I plan to fix my problem:

The fish that are going in the new 20 gal. tank:
    6 danios
    2 angelicus botias
    6 black neon tetras
    1 algae eater
    1 red wag platy
    5 harlequin rasboras

The fish I'm keeping in the old 29 gal. tank:
    6 guppies
    4 platies
    1 powder blue gourami
    5 glofish
    5 skirt fish
    3 corydoras

I split up the fish from my old tank and added new fish to fill out my schools.
    I think that will fix my problem. If you have any better ideas please let me know!

Thank you very much for the advice!
    -Camille

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

congrats on the extra tank - what a nice uncle!
    i think your 20 gallon is overstocked. leave the danios out, in my opinion. You don't already have them, right? I think you just have 1? Put him in the 29 with the glofish, since they are the same fish with different coloring.
    in the 29, bring the cories up to 6 and leave the guppies at 2, maybe just 1 more male. I've read that more than 3 male guppies together can get aggressive.

so...
    20 gal. tank:
    2 angelicus botias
    6 black neon tetras
    1 algae eater
    1 red wag platy
    5 harlequin rasboras

29 gal. tank:
    2-3 guppies
    4 platies
    1 powder blue gourami
    5 glofish and 1 longfin danio
    5 skirt fish
    6 corydoras

if the unknown algae eater gets too big for the 20, switch him with the 6 cories (but since he's a few years old and stayed small, I think he'll be fine).

11. Camille Member Member

I'll take your advice and put the longfin danio in with the glofish but it's too late for the guppies. I already have 3 females and 1 male guppy and I was planning on getting another male and another female. I've had guppies many times before (since I was a little kid) and the males seem to do fine together as long as you keep at least 2 females per male. I'm getting females and male guppies so that I can have baby fish. My guppies never last more than 2 years so I've decided to keep breeding them...

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol... for some reason I thought you had all male guppies. As long as you have really good filtration and maintainence, I think your stocking plan is going to work great :)

13. fbn Well Known Member Member

14. Camille Member Member

Thank you so much for all the help, I really appreciate it! ;D

-Camille

15. Camille Member Member

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

17. Camille Member Member

18. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

19. Camille Member Member

20. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, Chinese algae eaters are infamous for being aggressive and killing their tankmates. As they grow they seem to acquire a taste for other fish instead of algae.