Is my aquarium crashing??

1. HelloUnderwaterWorld Member Member

Today I noticed that my solitary male guppy's fins had retracted, and my water wisteria's leaves had brown spots. I tried to feed my guppy, but he had no appetite. He seems to not be able to swim well either. I did a 15% water change and when I came back I noticed that my ghost shrimp was attacking my guppy's tail! My poor guppy now has a tear in his tail and I don't know what to do. Please help!! Thanks

Tank specs:
    69 degrees, as normal
    pH ~7.8, also normal
    In the tank I have one male guppy, one ghost shrimp, one cull cherry shrimp, and one rainbow/ Malaya shrimp.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank?

Do you know your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

How often do you do water changes, and do you always change 15%?

3. HelloUnderwaterWorld Member Member

I did a water change 4 days ago. Currently, I have no access to my water test kit:-[
    I will be driving to the LFS for a test though.
    I found my ghost shrimp attacking my guppy again so I netted him and now he's separate...:helpsmilie:

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank? How often do you normally do water changes, and how much do you normally change?

And ask your LFS for exact numbers and see if they use a liquid kit (better than a strip kit).

5. HelloUnderwaterWorld Member Member

It's a 2 gallon tank. I've had it for 4 months, fully cycled, filtered. If the LFS doesn't use a liquid kit then I'll probably just buy another.
    Normally I do water changes once a week, about 15%, sometimes 20.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A 2 gal tank is too small for your stock. You should rehome the guppy or get a bigger tank.

And if you don't mind my asking, how do you know it's fully cycled if you don't know the water parameters?

7. HelloUnderwaterWorld Member Member

I had it cycled before I got any fish. I used to have a test kit I just don't have access to it now. An I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon tank. I just need help right now.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Always stock for the tank you have, not the tank you're planning to get in the future.

How did you cycle it? Water quality may be an issue.

In the meantime, I'd increase your water changes to 50% every few days. It'll help your guppy heal.

9. HelloUnderwaterWorld Member Member

Thanks

10. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi there, just wanted to mention that sounds like a whisker shrimp, NOT a ghost shrimp. They look almost identical. What color are the arm bands on the front? A ghost shrimp will have orange bands, if they are a different color like blue probably not a ghost shrimp. I brought home some ghost shrimp (I thought) but one of them kept attacking snails and other live creatures in my tank. When I looked closely at him I found out it was a whisker shrimp so I had to get rid of him. My ghost shrimp live with tiny baby cherry shrimp and never eat or attack them.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Even ghost shrimp can opportunistically try to eat a sick guppy...

12. s hawk Well Known Member Member

Had a 2.5 with water wisteria, guppy and snail. Your right at your stocking limit, but he would benefit from a larger tank. I would get a bottle of TSS+ to start up your cycle again. Also only time my wisteria turned brown was post vinegar dip. (That tank came down with parasites). Good luck wish I could help more

13. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, I guess, worth checking though!