Is My Aquarium About To Shatter?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by valhyric, Apr 18, 2018.

1. v

valhyric New Member Member

ive had a 38 gallon bowfront tank for about a month now. Recently my wife and I notice an almost “pinging” noice that sounds possibly like a crack. Upon inspection we don’t find any cracks or anything. Should we be worried about any impending implosions? I can say with certainty that the sound isn’t coming from the heater or filter.

2. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

Is it acrylic or glass?
    how old is it?

3. OP
    OP
    v

It’s glass, I bought it brand new. Marine land brand.

4. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

you may want to check if the silicone is wearing out. Look to see if there are any air bubbles in it.

5. OP
    OP
    v

I’m just curious if anyone knows what that sound could be?

6. firestorm1522

firestorm1522 Valued Member Member

Are you sure it is not the heater? I had a heater do that to me. It was making a clicking/pinging sound.

7. OP
    OP
    v

I suppose it’s possible, but it honestly sounded like a high pitch crack and it sounded like it came from the opposite end of the aquarium as my heater

8. Siphon

Siphon Valued Member Member

Theres animals that make sounds too. Rabbit snails hitting glass. African dwarf frogs. ive heard snails falling on glass before

9. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

I suggest you turn off the heater and filter. Listen carefully for the noise. If no noise, turn the heater, listen carefully. If no noise, turn on the filter and repeat. Pay attention to the inhabitants to check for possible sources.
    If a source is not identified, check with the manufacturer. I saw a post about a bow front tank exploding. That's a nasty mess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice