Is my angelfish too old to breed?

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by mammaguppy, Aug 8, 2015.

1. mammaguppy

mammaguppyValued MemberMember

It is four years old and is the one in my profile pic. I think it's a female

2. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

She might be able to breed, but is definitely past her prime in that she won't lay nearly as many eggs as she would a couple of years ago. A commercial breeder would not use her, but that is no reason that you can't try. Getting her paired off might be a bit of a chore
    BTW, she should still have a good number of years ahead of her, just not as a breeder. rick

Just occurred to me that as angels are all but impossible to sex unless actually about to spawn when you can observe their genital papillae (the females' being much more round; two females will on occasion spawn, leaving infertile eggs), you should read 'she or he' for she; as it stands. my post is the most sexist sounding document that I've ever read:) rick
    BTW, does your fish have a specific trait that you are trying to retain, or is it more sentimental, your wishing to breed her? It really is much easier to start with a group of juveniles if you have room, and let them pair off. Some people claim to be able to reliably sex adult angels; I am not among them:). The usual difference claimed is the distance between the vent and the fin in front of it; I find that about 50% accurate:).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  3. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Your profile pic is so tiny there is no way to even get a look at the fish. Can you take a decent photo of it and upload it to your post so we can get a look at her?
    Tolak can probably comment on the max breeding age for angels, but determining gender will require a decent photo.

4. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

Often what determines what age they'll breed until is what age they started spawning at. A female that is constantly spawning from a young age will be done by 2-3 years of age. If it is indeed a female, which is near impossible to tell from a pic, she's most likely got a few good years of breeding ahead of her if she hasn't been spawning.

As ricmcc mentioned, your goals with this fish would help us direct you towards where you'd like to go.

5. OP
    OP
    mammaguppy

mammaguppyValued MemberMember

Well, it's fatter,really aggressive, and looks like it has something like an egg tube(it's pretty easily seen) , so I took that to meen that it's a girl. I thought it was a boy until now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice