Is My Amazon Sword Dying?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by KaluOwe, Aug 3, 2017.

1. KaluOwe

KaluOwe Valued Member Member

I bought an amazon sword and it's slowing turning from bright green to brown starting at the tip of the highest leaf in the tank and moving downwards, is it dying? Or is it not receiving enough sunlight? Not sure.

2. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have root tabs in the substrate? From your description it sounds like either a phosphate or nitrogen deficiency. Swords need root tabs in their substrate, ideally one on either side as they are root feeders.

If you also feel it is likely a lighting issue then it probably is as well, but no matter what you do to fix the lighting it won't help until root tabs are in there :)

What lighting do you have on the sword?

3. OP
    OP
    KaluOwe

I had no idea I had to have something like root tabs, and I'm not sure what type of light we have...I only know it's super bright. However I try to have the windows open during the day for it since the tank is right next to the window, but it never receives full sunlight. Would it be better to move the plant somewhere that fish pass more often to feed on their droppings? I currently have it's root system beneath a hollow decoration that only the loaches go inside.

4. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

My amazon sword died because my loaches ate it lol

5. J

Lol, loaches do seem to love swords!

So, the roots should be buried, up to the crown (where the base of green meets root growth).
    Root tabs for swords are unfortunately 100% necessary... I use seachem root tabs, you can also do a diy root tab with osmocote (google it, tons of instructions available). I find my swords prefer a root tab placed on either side. Root tabs get pushed down into the substrate and buried.

Likely you have low lighting, even though it looks bright to you, it might not be bright for the plants. However, as long as it's not causing issues with algae, the sunlight would be a decent substitute...
    Did your lighting come with the tank or did you purchase separately?
    Can you post a picture of the tank? I may be able to judge the lighting better that way.

6. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Also if it is anew plant, many are grown out of water and those leaves don't survive under water. They will need to be clipped as they die, and new ones will grow in their place. And agree on the root tabs, those and some time should see it recover.

7. Sasha W

Sasha W New Member Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and also have a question about Amazon Swords. KaluOwe, would it be okay to add my question here so we can learn about them together, or should I start a new thread?

8. Angelfishlover123124125

Angelfishlover123124125 Valued Member Member

The exact same thing happened with mine and it just keeps getting worse.

9. OP
    OP
    KaluOwe

Yeah that's totally fine! Posting a picture of the tank btw. You can see it's only brown at the very top, all the other leaves seem fine. 15017967622801441162663.jpg

10. J

So, the leaves on the longer stems were likely grown emersed, so the browning would be normal... either way you need to add root tabs in there to help the new growth.
    You may have issues with lighting in the future (while it's bright it may not be appropriate plant lighting) but for now I wouldn't stress too much about it...

11. Sasha W

Thanks!

I have a different problem. I just got this plant two weeks ago and its leaves are sort of disintegrating. I've been using liquid Flourish and Excel for a long time, but just learned about root tabs, so I ordered some (Seachem brand). I also just started testing for nitrates and those were definitely too high, so I'm working on bringing them down (with more frequent water changes, plus just put a bag of Purigen in my canister filter yesterday). My pH is good, but my water temperature is around 84-86 (due to the fluorescent light), which seems fine for the fish, but maybe not good for this plant (my other plants are happily growing).

Do you experts think that what I'm doing will reverse what's happening to this plant, or should I do something else?

Attached Files:

12. J

I think the root tabs will make all the difference

13. Sasha W

I hope so! Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice