Is My Albino Bristlenose Pleco's Fin Okay.

FishxXxKILLMExXx

Reaction score
I've had my bristlenose pleco for about two months now and I was looking into its tank today (which contains an assortment of fish) and I noticed the tip of one of its fins on the side was red and I was if it will be okay and why i

Ed204

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello there,
Do you have any pictures of the fish, that would definitely help in finding out what’s the problem.

Thanks,
Ed.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you read the thread that pic came from it says that it could have damaged itself on decor. Is there anything in your tank with tight spaces/crevices that it could have scraped its fins on? It also says that it could have been the gravel, but I have mine on gravel and its perfectly fine - though sharper gravels could maybe cause an issue and my gravel is much smaller than in that picture.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/bristlenose-pleco-has-a-red-fin.368899/

It wouldn't hurt either to know the water parameters of your tank.

OP
F

FishxXxKILLMExXx

Reaction score
Feohw said:
If you read the thread that pic came from it says that it could have damaged itself on decor. Is there anything in your tank with tight spaces/crevices that it could have scraped its fins on? It also says that it could have been the gravel, but I have mine on gravel and its perfectly fine - though sharper gravels could maybe cause an issue and my gravel is much smaller than in that picture.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/bristlenose-pleco-has-a-red-fin.368899/

It wouldn't hurt either to know the water parameters of your tank.
My gravel is smooth and my pleco is still a juvenile so I don't think there are any crevices too small for him and I only see him on the driftwood in the tank.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'd still say the chances are its some bruise/irritation from scraping it against a piece of decor or maybe from another fish in the tank. There's a few threads about BN plecos with red fins and this is usually the case. Usually clears up within a few days too. It still wouldn't hurt to know the water parameters to clear that front and its best to keep the water clean to help it heal.

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom