Is My African Dwarf Frog Sick? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by pakals, Nov 5, 2018.

1. pakals

pakalsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm new to keeping ADFs and just got my firsts two days ago (a pair of females). I keep them in a 10 gallon tank with a male betta. The betta gets along with frogs so far and either ignores them or flees when they get too close (no chasing, bullying, nibbling, etc.), but I've been watching them closely since they're all still new to each other. The tank has lots of hiding spots, a light, a heater, and it's been dechlorinated and cycled properly, but one of the frogs acts a lot different than the other one. I know from keeping bettas that fish can have a lot of different personalities and preferences, but the frog in question isn't acting like ADFs are supposed to, if the different forums and websites online are to be believed. She hides in one place for hours on end--staying in much smaller, tighter spaces than the other one--and rarely moves. When she does, she crawls very slowly. Her coloring is also paler than the other, but I don't know if that's natural or because she's ill. She also doesn't eat, which I've heard is common when ADFs are introduced to new habitats. She isn't showing any other signs of a fungal infection or red leg. Is she sick? Could she have been underfed in the pet store since she was kept in a tank with other fish? I'm worried because the other frog is very active and has been eating, but this one isn't. I've taken her out of the 10g in case she is sick and contagious and put her in a 1.5g.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    I’d put her back into the main tank, I highly doubt she’s contagious. It sounds like she’s being outcompeted for food. Have you tried to spot feed her?

3. OP
    OP
    pakals

Ratings:
    +45
    I separate the frogs from the betta when I feed them, but I'll also try spot feeding to make sure the other frog isn't eating all the food. Should I be worried about her crawling instead of swimming?

4. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,455
    Experience:
    5 years
    Does she ever swim? Sometimes if they crawl it’s fine, but if it’s all the time then yes she’s very weak.

5. OP
    OP
    pakals

Ratings:
    +45
    If she does swim, then it's at night and I haven't seen her. She seems to stay in one place during the day for a while and then crawls a few inches over. I haven't seen her surface for air (although, she must be at some point), so I don't know if she struggles to swim up or not.

6. Kjeldsen

KjeldsenValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +220
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Some ADFs are naturally lighter/darker than others, but they all go nuts for frozen-thawed bloodworms. If she refuses one of those, I'd worry.