Is My African Dwarf Frog Male Or Female? Question 

Kameron

Valued Member
Messages
310
Reaction score
80
Points
63
I think it’s a male but not completely sure. Here are some pics. Thanks for any help I get.

IMG_1376.jpg
IMG_1379.jpg
IMG_1374.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Kameron

Valued Member
Messages
310
Reaction score
80
Points
63
Thank you. I want to get it a mate but wanted to make sure it was a he first to go get a female. If had him for a few months now and his name is Fred. I’ll be giving them their own tank once I set it up I’ll be picking up a female
 

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
1,314
Points
148
Experience
1 year
I'm uncertain as to sex, but that froggie needs a sammich in a serious way. It's not showing any outwards sign of disease, but it's seriously skinny. Feed lots of protein and fat. Frozen bloodworms (easy), raw shrimp chopped super fine, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, beef heart (or so i hear), are all good options.
Is it in a tank with fish?
Do you hand feed?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Kameron

Valued Member
Messages
310
Reaction score
80
Points
63
bitseriously said:
I'm uncertain as to sex, but that froggie needs a sammich in a serious way. It's not showing any outwards sign of disease, but it's seriously skinny. Feed lots of protein and fat. Frozen bloodworms (easy), raw shrimp chopped super fine, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, beef heart (or so i hear), are all good options.
Is it in a tank with fish?
Do you hand feed?
I always felt he was skinny but I feed him 6-7 blood worms every other day. He is in a tank with fish right now and has always been but I hand feed him those blood worms. Maybe I need to try and feed him other things as well
 

FishMommer

Valued Member
Messages
394
Reaction score
110
Points
63
I started mine on tadpole pellets. I still give them to him as they sink nicely? I usually drop them in quick before the other fish. Although they get some.

Then I added the blood worms. Just 2-3 maybe 1x a week? But I got nervous about them because I read it can be too much? Maybe digesting a long worm?

Since then I have also added brine and mysis shrimp? I drop some and and the fish eat it, but they are not fast enough for it all so he still gets what he needs. As I understand it the males tend to be on the slimmer side either way? But agreed. He looks a bit extra slim!

We are getting more and I found a link to a product we may try out (especially as they will be in a tank with other bottom feeders)

Figured we would give it a try.
 

FishMommer

Valued Member
Messages
394
Reaction score
110
Points
63
Taking a second look, from the top side he doesn't look as bad as the under side. 6-7 worms every other sounds like a good meal? Does he get extra plump on those days? When ours gets a bigger belly, I worry and cut back the amount. Still working on getting it right. I hate having him look like he had Thanksgiving dinner and he is struggling.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Kameron

Valued Member
Messages
310
Reaction score
80
Points
63
FishMommer said:
Taking a second look, from the top side he doesn't look as bad as the under side. 6-7 worms every other sounds like a good meal? Does he get extra plump on those days? When ours gets a bigger belly, I worry and cut back the amount. Still working on getting it right. I hate having him look like he had Thanksgiving dinner and he is struggling.
He may get a little plump but nothin crazy. He has eaten the same way for months. I do randomly throw in some flakes for the fish or pellets but he rarely gets any of those.
 

FishMommer

Valued Member
Messages
394
Reaction score
110
Points
63
Still as bitseriously mentioned better keep an eye. Maybe he came to you on the thinner side. But it's always a challenge feeding them especially at first.
 

Kjeldsen

Valued Member
Messages
369
Reaction score
240
Points
88
Experience
More than 10 years
Hard to tell but it looks healthy! Usually they're too young at the store to sex, but after a couple months the males will have those lighter underarm bumps and the females will grow plump. Males "arms" tend to get a little bigger.as well, which helps him in his job of hanging on for hours piggyback and fertilizing her eggs. She will have what looks like a very short tail, that's where the eggs come out.

 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

Kameron

Valued Member
Messages
310
Reaction score
80
Points
63
Kjeldsen said:
Hard to tell but it looks healthy! Usually they're too young at the store to sex, but after a couple months the males will have those lighter underarm bumps and the females will grow plump. Males "arms" tend to get a little bigger.as well, which helps him in his job of hanging on for hours piggyback and fertilizing her eggs. She will have what looks like a very short tail, that's where the eggs come out.

Ok gotcha. Thanks for that. I’ll show you my male. I took a couple better pics of him. I’ve had him for months. I’m working on getting a little more weight on him.
 

Attachments

Kjeldsen

Valued Member
Messages
369
Reaction score
240
Points
88
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm. I'm not seeing distinct underarm nubs on the "boy", and the little tail suggests your male may be female.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom