Is my ADF okay?

Lorli

I got an ADF and 3 guppies at the LFS on Thursday night, acclimated them according to the instructions and let them out of the bags yesterday. The guppies are doing really well but the frog was not very active in the bag or when I let him out and now he is just lying on the bottom. I wondered if he might be dead but when I disturb the water near him, he moves a little. I have not seen him come up for air at all. This morning, I fed the guppies and put in a couple of live black worms for him but he didn't move.

The guy in the store (a young kid I've never see before) was not very gentle and trapped the frog against the wall of the tank to catch him. I was afraid the frog was going to get injured. He said that they are very hard to catch, which I can believe.

What should I do? Is it normal behavior for a frog, and doesn't he need to breathe?

Neppley

I know lucy the ADF guru can answer all your questions but i am bristlenose pleco breeder and I know nothing of ADFs

Upvote 0

Salem

ADF are generally very very VERY boring to watch in my opinion. They have very bad eyesight which makes their reaction time pretty slow. One of their favourite and most common habits is to just float with all their limbs stretched out. This can sometimes make them look dead but they're just chilling there thinking their little frog thoughts. When they do come to the surface to breathe they do it very quickly and generally will return to the same spot and assume the same position they were previously in.
You generally aren't going to really see a lot of movement during the day or when the lights are on. ADF are nocturnal and as far as I've seen and read will wait until the tank lights are off or very dim before they do the bulk of their movements.
Your froggy friend not eating his worm likely has a lot to do with his poor eyesight. They rely a lot on smell to find their food. You may be able to help them out if you move the worm with tweezers so that it is directly in front of the mouth.

Upvote 0

Lucy

Hi welcome to FishLore!
I agree with Salem but lets rule out some things just in case.

What is the tank size?
Any other fish besides the guppies?
Is the tank cycled?
What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (before water change?)
When was the last water change?

Upvote 0

Lorli

The tank is 3.5 gallons, I did a big water change last week and a small one (like 10 - 20%) this past week. The tank is cycled, it's had a few plants and a nerite snail for months. One thing is that the water here is very hard and very alkaline, I admit I haven't tested the water for ages, I will do it this week. The only animals in the tank are the snail, guppies and frog.
I didn't know that they sat around a lot. A lady at my office said she had an African frog in a 3.5 g and that it was lots of fun to watch, diving up and down in the water and using its little hands to eat. I like fish that do more than just look pretty (why I have shelldwellers).

Upvote 0

Lucy

A 3.5 gallon tank is rather small for guppies and an ADF, Guppies can be rater rambunctious and would appreciate more space.
Personally, I'd keep the frog and snail in the 3.5 and consider a larger tank for the guppies.

You'll need to be diligent with the water changes since they can get out of whack fairly quickly with left over food and fish waste in that size tank.
3.5 gallon tank isn't usually 3.5 gallons of water once decorations and substrate are added.

It still would be helpful to know the readings. While the tank may have enough bacteria to sustain a nerite. You've increased the bio load and the bacteria might not have caught up just yet.

Upvote 0

Lucy

It still would be helpful to know the readings.

Kind of scratch that. Since you know the cycling procress, it would be helpful for you to know the readings then you can take action by doing more frequent water changes if needed.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
HeyItsBruin
  • Question
Replies
Views
MasterPython
  • Question
Replies