Is My 90 Gallon Aquarium Stand Safe?

Shin Kamata Kun

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi everyone I recently noticed that my water level on my aquarium is uneven. It seems to lean foreword, maybe my floor is uneven? I also noticed some unusual stress marks on the wood near one of the back corners and the inside middle piece of wood. The tank has been set up for about 7 months now and the stand is made out of pine wood. I'm kinda worried or I'm I over reacting? Photos are below and thank you everyone ^-^
20180514_012044.jpg
20180514_012249.jpg
20180514_005518.jpg
20180514_001752.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This stand made for the aquarium right? In the pics the top board corner? That’s trim. The other board as hubby described it to me sounds like the saw blade was a bit dull when they cut that piece. Kind of rough looking?
If the aquarium is not level, you’ll want to shim the stand at the bottom. Check and cross bracing to make sure it’s still tight. You can always add more bracing if needed. Let us know if the stand feels wobbly in any way.

Shin Kamata Kun

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gypsy13 said:
This stand made for the aquarium right? In the pics the top board corner? That’s trim. The other board as hubby described it to me sounds like the saw blade was a bit dull when they cut that piece. Kind of rough looking?
If the aquarium is not level, you’ll want to shim the stand at the bottom. Check and cross bracing to make sure it’s still tight. You can always add more bracing if needed. Let us know if the stand feels wobbly in any way.
Yes it is I got it from a reef shop. No it doesn't appear to be wobbly just slightly tilted, it's barely even noticeable but I was still concerned. What could I use to add more bracing? Would stacked smaller cinder blocks added to the middle piece and ends inside the cabinets work? And thank you for responding ^-^

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stacking blocks will add weight to the cabinet but not strength. Can you shim the bottom? I know with that much weight it’s harder but if you get the composite shims they make it just a tad easier.
And it’s no problem. I love woodworking. Freaks hubby out when he comes home and I’m using the radial arm or table saw. Keep telling him I’m blind not stupid! Lol
But if this cabinet is designed to hold this much weight I’d truly try shimming to get it level. And don’t go by the water line in the tank. Level the cabinet itself. Easier if there’s two people. One to watch the level and the other to tap the shims. If you get a chance take pics of the inside of the cabt.

Shin Kamata Kun

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gypsy13 said:
Stacking blocks will add weight to the cabinet but not strength. Can you shim the bottom? I know with that much weight it’s harder but if you get the composite shims they make it just a tad easier.
And it’s no problem. I love woodworking. Freaks hubby out when he comes home and I’m using the radial arm or table saw. Keep telling him I’m blind not stupid! Lol
But if this cabinet is designed to hold this much weight I’d truly try shimming to get it level. And don’t go by the water line in the tank. Level the cabinet itself. Easier if there’s two people. One to watch the level and the other to tap the shims. If you get a chance take pics of the inside of the cabt.
Yeah I thought so xD I don't think I would be able to unless I empty the water out and I know my Gold fish would get stressed if I did I'll try with tapping them underneath though. Gotta stop at home depot sometime this week then ^-^ lol xD Alrighty sure thing

Shin Kamata Kun

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Shin Kamata Kun said:
Yeah I thought so xD I don't think I would be able to unless I empty the water out and I know my Gold fish would get stressed if I did I'll try with tapping them underneath though. Gotta stop at home depot sometime this week then ^-^ lol xD Alrighty sure thing
Here are some more photos. It's odd the leveling almost looks like the tank was not placed in it's footprint properly but I know when I set it up it didn't look like that xD
20180514_065023.jpg
20180514_065531.jpg
20180514_065614.jpg

Shin Kamata Kun

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gypsy13 said:
Is the last pic looking up? Hubby says it’s on carpet?
Yes it's on a carpet. I was actually looking up leveling aquarium stand tutorials on YouTube and they said it's a must to do. Sheesh I really wish they told me this when i got the stand xD But at least now I know what to do, thank you so much for your help ^-^

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could lower the water level by half without stressing the fish. Would help with the shimming.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom