Is my 7.5gallon cycling?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I set up my 7.5 gallon tank 2 weeks ago, and nothing seems to be happening. I ama cycling fishles and I am putting a pinch of flake in every day to help it but nothing is happening. :-\ I have some nitrAtes but nothing else. ??? Any ideas why it is so slow?

Here are the readings from yesterday :

Ammonia : 0
NitrAte : 5.0
NitrIte : 0
PH : 7.6

Do you think it just might be a little slow and I should give it time? What do you suggest?

Thanks

Gwenz

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I still think you aren't adding enough ammonia-producing stuff. As I said in the other thread, I recommend throwing a piece of shrimp into the tank. Human kind of shrimp, no sauce, cooked or uncooked is your choice.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have any NitrAtes in my tap water.

Boxermom, sorry I didn't answer in the other thread. I have been thinking about it though. Thanks for the tip.

How does that work? What happens?

I just tested the tank again. I think it might just be slow.

Ammonia : 0.25
NitrAte : 5-10
NitrIte : 0
PH : 7.6

(I'm testing using API tests)

Gwenz

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend wasting your money on Cycle or any other product that sits on the shelves. They do NOT have the appropriate live bacteria needed for cycling and all they do is waste your money.

The shrimp works the same way as the food. It deteriorates and creates ammonia as it rots. A sufficient amount to start the cycling process.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a small pot of Cycle a while ago but everyone here said not to bother so it just sits at the back of the cupboard.

Thanks Boxermom, I think I'll try that. Is there a specific time during the cycle when I should take it out? Or do I just leave it there until it rots and disappears?

Thanks

Gwenz

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi gwenz ..i would suggest puting some gravel from one of your other tanks in there...ive just finished cycling my new tank..i got alot of advice from others that say this is one of the best things to do to get the cycle going quicker..i vacumed the gravel of my old tank and put the water that was vacumed out in the new tank,just a small amount though..hope that helps good luck..

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
David, thats not a bad idea! ;D I'm taking some gravel out of my 15gall today (I'm re-decorating it) and so I could put some of it in there. Thanks! ;D

Did you put old water from another tank in there? Does that realy work?

Thanks for the tips.

Gwenz

ecnaj143

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Boxermom said:
I would not recommend wasting your money on Cycle or any other product that sits on the shelves. They do NOT have the appropriate live bacteria needed for cycling and all they do is waste your money.

The shrimp works the same way as the food.  It deteriorates and creates ammonia as it rots. A sufficient amount to start the cycling process.
Then obviously your not using it right. Since I've been using that, I have NOT lost a fish because of bad water. I even have takin my water to an aquarium store just cuz and it was PERFECT. It works, I'm starting to wonder if you kn ow anything your talkin about.

DEADFISH

Reaction score
just curious; if nitrates, ammonia and nitrites are so bad...then why would you not want it at 0?
i know almost nothing about it so just curious...
but then also someone said there nitrates was 80-100...

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Nitrates are only bad in large numbers. They are almost always present in a properly cycled tank. Go to the main fishlore.com page and read up on the nitrogen cycle which will explain it all.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Boxermom said:
Leave the shrimp in until your tests show the ammonia and nitrites are zero. Then you know you've bulit up enough good bacteria to handle some fish.
I think I'll try that. I'm going out to buy some later.

When you say "throw a piece of shrimp in", how big a piece should I put in?

Thanks

Gwenz

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi again i put the water from the old tank in the new 1..but its all the fish poo and uneaten food that you vacumed of the bottom that you want not so much the water..that should get your ammonia going..

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OK thanks David. Is this what you did? Did it work quickly?

Gwenz

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
yes it worked quickly,but i added to many fish as soon as it was cycled and my ammonia went threw the roof again..bactozym is what you should use after u add the fish and that will speed up the cycle even more..i wrote a bit about it in another one of your questions..definatly saved my fishies life ;D ...again good luck. ..

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. so does bactozyme speed up the cycle, if the cycl hasn't started yet?

Thanks

Gwenz

P.S. - I just read the other post. Thanks

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ammonia - 0.25
NitrAte - 5-10
NitrIte - 0
PH - 7.4

My mum has been looking for shrimp,but can't seem to find any. ??? She said looked everywhere she could think of, but I don't think she could have looked much, because she was only out for like 10-15 minutes. ??? I think she might be a bit fed up with me always saying that I'm needing something else. Or she's just lying and can't be bothered to look.  >  I doubt she is lying though, I guess I'm just angry with her (we had an argument this morning, and she's kind-of ignoring me :'( ).

Do you think if I put the filter into my already cycled 15 gallon for a while, it will help it cycle?

Thanks

Gwenz

smokeypea

Reaction score
Hi, i used Stability when i got my 46 gallon tank, was told to use it for 7 days, and i added a copuple of fish straight away as i was informed i could do, its great, all my readings a re as they should be, and the fish are very healthy, everyone says how lovley and clear the water is and how good the fish look so i must have done something right,

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom