55 Gallon Tank Is my 55 gallon tank overstocked?

NeuerFisch

I found out that I should not trust aquadvisor so I am wondering if my 55 gallon planted tank is overstocked.
Data:
Aqueon 55 Quiet Flow
Hydro Sponge 4
No Weekly 30% water changes with Prime
PH 7
Temp 76.5
Nitrite + Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Total Hardness 6
Fishless cycled since 4 Months
Cholla wood, slate rock
17 Glowlight Rasboras
15 Diamond tetras
2 male Bolivian Ram
8 Aneus Longfin Corys

Thanks in advance for your expertise
Typo....it is an Aqueon 75 Quietflow
And of course bi-weekly water changes

VioletKeepsFish

I'm not an absolute expert on this but I think the stocking is fine but at its upper limit. As long as you are doing frequent partial water changes and being prolific about maintenance you should be fine. Aqadvisor is fine for stocking, but I would post here or on a different forum before deciding on stocking.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I wouldn't consider this tank over stocked. As long as you aren't over feeding and are keeping up with your water changes all should be well. It is unusual to get a reading of zero nitrates though if this tank is cycled. If you are using an API master test kit are you sure you are running the test correctly? You need to shake bottle #2 really really well to break the sediment loose and mix it well. You then need to shake the test tube for a full minute after adding drops from both bottles.

When you say bi-weekly do you mean every two weeks or twice a week?

Upvote 0

NeuerFisch

I wouldn't consider this tank over stocked. As long as you aren't over feeding and are keeping up with your water changes all should be well. It is unusual to get a reading of zero nitrates though if this tank is cycled. If you are using an API master test kit are you sure you are running the test correctly? You need to shake bottle #2 really really well to break the sediment loose and mix it well. You then need to shake the test tube for a full minute after adding drops from both bottles.

When you say bi-weekly do you mean every two weeks or twice a week?
I use a sera test kit. I change the water twice a week.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I'm not sure on the Diamond tetras size. I think you will be ok. I would up the water changes to at least 50% with a big stock though. I don't think 30 will be enough but you can monitor that by your tests.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I use a sera test kit. I change the water twice a week.
Gotcha. The twice weekly water changes may be keeping the nitrates to low to detect. Instead of twice weekly I will recommend you do one 50% water change once a week. Since you aren't seeing any ammonia twice weekly water changes shouldn't have to be done. If you enjoy doing it twice a week it isn't a problem but it shouldn't be necessary.

Upvote 0

NeuerFisch

Thank you so much for your expertise....makes me feel better now☺

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
55 Gallon Tank Is my tank overstocked?
Replies
Views
NeuerFisch
Replies
Views