Is my 5 month old molly pregnant?

jetswarrior102

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How old do black mollies need to be to have babies?????? HELP?
My black Molly fry have been in a breeding trap for 5 months since they were born. I released them 5 days ago and now one of my fry is looking pregnant with the square stomach, the white anal hole and constantly hungry exactly how her mother was before she had her babies. I can't imagine babies being inside this Molly she's only a bit less then an inch. But she's showing all the signs... CAN THEY BREED WITH SIBLINGS? WILL THEY HAVE DEFORMITIES?

MrsMorocco2010

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As far as I know, yes they can breed with siblings and they can have deformities. Why did you keep them in the breeding trap for so long?

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Sibling can and will interbreed. Deformities are not likely. Fish can inbreed for about 7 generations before you start having major issues. Breeding siblings together is very common. Nothing to worry about. Also, line breeding is a very common practice. That is where you breed a father to his daughter and then grand daughter and so on. This is how color strains are established. The same thing is done with dogs.

aquatic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
She probably is pregnant, but due to her small size I wouldn't expect a 30+ type of brood until she is older and larger.

jetswarrior102

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, I didn't expect this to happen this early. Guess my friend is going to have to get some mollies

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom