Is my 40 gal tank over stocked!! Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Quinkeohane, Apr 7, 2010.

1. QuinkeohaneNew MemberMember

Hello all, I'm quite new to this hobby and was hopin some1 could help me with the number of fish I got in my tank!! I have 1 pleco, 2 orandas, 2 telescope goldfish, 3 angelfish, 4 neon tetras, 4 platys... It's sounds a lot to me!! I started with only the pleco, angelfish an orandas, but my wife keeps bringin new friends home!! ( she did say wen I got the tank, quote"why do u want fish? They just swim around an around".. She now sits infront of it wen she reads her books, she
    just loves um.. Anyway can some1 help me plz...

2. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

Yes. Not only is it over stocked but you have fish that aren't compatible. Goldfish should not be kept in a tropical tank.

Goldfish require more tank space than other fish too.

The angelfish might consider the neons for food later on. The platys might nip at the slow moving orandas and even the long fins of the angels. The pleco will also outgrow your tank.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  3. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

This is also a relatively new tank (2 months). Was the tank fully cycled when you put all those fish in there?

Goldfish have a large bioload and require temps different than tropicals.

4. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Yes, I'm afraid your tank is very overstocked. Fancy type goldfish need a minimum of 20 gallons for the first and another 10 gallons for each additional goldie with extra filtration since they are very messy fish. 3 Angelfish can become a problem down the road, especially if you have more than one male. If you have 1 male and 2 females and you wind up with a breeding pair then the odd one out will need to be removed. What kind of Pleco is it? Some species can get downright huge (over 18 inches) and they are huge waste producers like goldies. I'm afraid you'll need more tanks and they will need to be larger tanks in order to keep all these fish. Otherwise you will need to start either returning or rehoming them.

Oh and welcome to Fishlore!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  5. cm11599ps

cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

Even if all the fish could be kept together you would need a tank of at least 200 gallons.

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

the upper limit for goldfish is like 75, which is at the low end of the tropical range. goldfish, like most fish, can adapt to water parameters outside of their "preferred" range. keeping them in warmer water will shorten their life, so instead of living for 20+ years it might only live for 15. thats something im okay with.

7. OP
    OP
    Q

QuinkeohaneNew MemberMember

Noooo.. So I gotta rehouse the goldies?!?! My plec is a bristlenose.. Yeah my tank was cycled by the dude I had it off(he put media from his big tank in my filter box, an put the 4 neons in to)he's now gone to Australia to live.. How do I tell the sex of my angels?? Thanks..

8. Shine

ShineWell Known MemberMember

Well... either that or rehouse everything else! lol

40 is 'okay' for 4 fancy goldies in my books, especially if they are still small; but not them plus everyone else you have in the tank. If you want to keep everyone healthy I'd suggest a second tank to move all the others (except the goldfish) into... (though three angels would still be a prob if 2 pair off)

9. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Your bristlenose pleco should only get to about 5-6 inches, I believe. But it still is a big waste producer.

10. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Fortunately the bristlenose is one of the smaller species. If you rehome the Goldies then your tank should be okay. You will probably still have to rehome one of the angels though. I can't help with sexing sorry but I'm sure someone will be able to.

11. OP
    OP
    Q

QuinkeohaneNew MemberMember

Ok. Thanx for ur help guy/dolls, theyl b movin first thing tmora.. :(

12. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for taking care of that!!

I thought you were giving us a recipe for tropical fish soup!!! wew!!

13. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

I agree, rehome the goldies and just keep up on your weekly partial water changes and gravel vacs. :)

14. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

welcome to fishlore Quinkeohane :;hi2

15. corycat32New MemberMember

it is overstocked. get rid of the pleco and goldfish. the pleco will grow and goldfish arent tropical.the pleco will be fine until it grows fully,which will be awhile.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice