Is My 20 gallon stocking plan good?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by happyfins14, Jul 27, 2015.

1. h

happyfins14 Valued Member Member

Hey guys! I know I came up with a stocking plan for a 10 gallon about two days ago, but new information came to light for me, mostly brought up by you guys, and so I have since reconsidered.

My plan:

Tank: 20 gallon long aquarium

Filteration: EDIT: Aqua clear filter, but should I get the 30 or the 50? The 50 is only a few dollars more at Petsmart, but I'm worried about a strong current...

Light: Unsure. Any ideas? I want a planted aquarium

Plants: All live, maybe like one silk plant. Anacharis, java moss, java fern, anubias nana, 2-3 Marimo moss balls, hornwort, banana plant

Decor: Not a lot, probably just 2-3 lava rocks for the plants that need it to be tied to.

Substrate: Black sand. Any recommended cheap brands?

Heater: Also unsure. Would love an adjustable one. Any suggestions?

Other: I'm sure I can find a suitable lid somewhere. And I already have a thermometer

Fish
    four male fancy guppies
    Three male platies
    Six julii cory catfish

Invertebrates
    3 ghost shrimp

I would also get liquid fertilizer from Petco. Are there any plants on my list that would need root tabs?

Please feel free to correct me, edit my fish list, suggest plants and heaters, and tell me everything I'm doing wrong. Thanks guys!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd probably just get an AquaClear 50 for filtration. For heating, Aqueon Pro is an excellent one. I'm running them with various wattages on three of my tanks. For a 20g you need 100w.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't say the heater sizes are so simple like that. 5 watts per gallon is good for most situations but if you really need to raise the temperature a lot more than the ambient temperature, you may need more. Or if you keep your home in the low to mid 70s all the time like me, you could get away with slightly less.

And I do believe your stocking is fine.

4. OP
    OP
    h

Thanks for the help! My tank has a built in filter so I don't know much about them, but wouldn't a filter meant for a 50 gallon be too much for a 20 gallon? I know it's better to overfiltrate than underfiltrate but wouldn't the current be too much?

5. Dom90

No, it wouldnt be too much. I have an AquaClear 70 running on a 29 gallon. You can adjust the flow on the AquaClears.

6. LiterallyHydro

The only time you have too large of a filter on the aquarium is when the fish are being blown around or plastered to the glass. A filter rated for a 50 gallon aquarium will do fine in a 20 gallon tank. I used a fluval 306 in a 20 gallon tank for a while.

7. OP
    OP
    h

Oh I didn't know that that sounds really helpful. Where did you get your AquaClear?

8. LiterallyHydro

I personally get my AquaClear filters on Amazon. My LFS also sells them but they are very expensive over there.

9. OP
    OP
    h

Awesome thanks :D

10. Dom90

Yep everything is cheaper on Amazon 95% of the time. Only time I didn't find something cheaper on Amazon was the glass lid for my 29g...

11. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Just a quick FYI, if you don't want to wait for shipping, Petco will price match. I don't know what the limitations on that are, but hardly anyone knows and it's super cool.

12. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Petmart has Aquaclears on sale right now. You can get a 50 for $37.39 
    I would not go smaller than that for a 20 gallon.

I picked up a 70 last weekend because they are on sale. Didn't really need it, but I've never had one and wanted to see how they are. Great filters.

13. OP
    OP
    h

Yeah I saw that too :) I'm planning to pick up a 30. I think that would be more than sufficient filtration without the fear of a strong current

14. LiterallyHydro

Honestly I would just do the AquaClear 50. The flow really isn't that strong and that extra flow rate in the filter will help with filtration. I believe an AquaClear 30 already has enough media for a 20 gallon tank, it's just there's not enough flow to move enough water through the filter to process any waste in the tank.

15. BDpups

In my experience, you cannot have too much flow with a HOB filter. I had a Emperor 400 on a 10 gallon grow out tank one time. If you have canister filters then you maybe able to create too much movement for fish. But with the design of a hob, with the water just falling back into the tank, I just don't see how that would ever create too much current. Plus, the Aquaclears can have the flow reduced somewhat if you find it necessary.

16. Dom90

Hmm I had an Aqueon Quietflow 20 on a 10g at one time and my fish were getting blown around and I had to kind of clog up the flow...

17. LiterallyHydro

And even with the canisters it is often a non-problem with some well placed spray bars.

I have a history of very heavily over filtering aquariums and I've yet to come across any problems blowing fish around.

18. BDpups

I run Eheim 2217's on 29 gallon tanks. They have sand substrate so I did drill the spay bar holes out a bit because they did stir up the sand a little. But the fish didn't seem to mind.

19. OP
    OP
    h

Wow the 50 is sounding better and better I'm thinking I'll have to go with that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice