Is my 20 gallon overstocked?

rkeehn547

Hello, I have a 20 gallon tall and I was wondering if I’ve got too many fish in it. I currently have 8 neon tetras, 6 harlequin Rasboras, and 3 peppered Cory catfish. I don’t plan on adding any more fish. I will be doing a gravel vacuum and 25-30 percent water change weekly. Is the tank too stocked? If so, should I change more water weekly? Thanks

Tetraman124

I’m no expert and a lot of the time with stocking choices you don’t want to much but there’s the an inch per gallon rule if you want to use that but I don’t think it’s OVER stocked

Upvote 0

PurpleReign19

You are just under fully stocked. i would just add a couple more cories because they prefer to be in schools. The inch per gallon rule is flawed and it is better to use tools such as aqadvisor or ask for help from others. With 2 more cories I think this would be a beautiful stocking! Good luck :)

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Add more corys to get them to an appropriate number around 6 then you’ll be fully stocked IMO

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Hello, I have a 20 gallon tall and I was wondering if I’ve got too many fish in it. I currently have 8 neon tetras, 6 harlequin Rasboras, and 3 peppered Cory catfish. I don’t plan on adding any more fish. I will be doing a gravel vacuum and 25-30 percent water change weekly. Is the tank too stocked? If so, should I change more water weekly? Thanks

I don’t think your tank is overstocked. After you do your next water change, test your water parameters (hopefully just nitrates) at days 4 - 7 after the change.

Allow your test results to tell you whether more than weekly changes are necessary. In my opinion, nitrates should be kept in the “orange zone” if you’re using the API Master Test kit. No matter your test results, change your water weekly as you’ve been doing.

For whatever it’s worth, I’d ignore the inch per gallon rule.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ShortDraft
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views