Is my 2 gal big enough for a colony?

1. cassididly Initiate Member

I recently set up a planted shrimp only bowl and have bought 7 red cherry shrimp. today when I looked closely I realised that one of the females I bought was already berried. I have them in a 2 gallon bowl with java moss and assorted plants. I was just wondering if the bowl would be big enough to support the new babies. The only other tank I have is a 55 gallon with angel fish, rainbow fish and platys so I wouldnt dare put them in there. http://m.imgur.com/raFNOKS my bowl

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

It will work for now,the colony will get big so you should get a 10 gallon in a few months.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It'll work. The population will grow to the tank size. I have RCS in a 2.5 gal with no issues. I do recommend a sponge filter though.

4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

You don't have problems with them overpopulating?I think they should get a 10 anyway they can get some shrimp safe fish and a colony of crystal shrimp.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Nope, no problems!

And there's nothing wrong with a shrimp only tank. You often see the shrimp more often when you don't have fish. CRS are also harder to keep as they require more specific parameters.

6. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I had alot more luck with CRS,they where expensive but the did better than my cherries.