Is my 10 Gallon Overstocked???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Melisa389, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Melisa389New MemberMember

I have 5 Harlequin Rasboras
    2 Dwarf African Frog
    1 Alage Eater Oto
    3 Black Khuli Loaches
    1 Snail
    1 Beta

I have a 30 gallon filter and an oxygen air stone.

Therefore who should I remove and put in. I really want a school of fishes within a community tank of fishes.

2. throwthesandValued MemberMember

For ten gallons, I think that's a lot. In my ten gallon I have two African Dwarf Frogs, two snails, and a betta and it can still get pretty crowded during feeding time. It all depends on which fish you like best, but I think the betta would appreciate some space :). You should try getting another tank and maybe splitting the group in half, and then you can add the school :)

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum

I'm afraid the tank is too small for the kuhli loaches. Aside from that, I don't think it's that bad.

4. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Well, the harlequins will school, right? They probably aren't showing schooling behavior now because they are in a small tank with too many other fish, and it's a pretty small group of them.

I'd get a 20-gallon long tank, or bigger if possible, move everything except the betta to the new tank, and add about 3 harlequins. A 33-long or a 40-breeder would probably be even better. You could (and should) even keep your current filter, although if you go for anything larger than about 20-25 gallons you should probably add a second filter, too.

5. Melisa389New MemberMember

So should I separate my Beta from the school. I was told my otos I will have to increase and they are better off in a 20 gallon so I'm lost now

6. Melisa389New MemberMember

The people at Petsmart told me otherwise, but I am hearing since I gotten them that it might drive the loaches crazy being in that tank. I wish I knew they were not suitable with my tank community.

7. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Do you have live plants? What is your water change schedule? I would not add any more fish to the tank. With the beta you want to watch which school fish you put with it. Some of the tetras are known to be fin nippers, and with the beta's long flowing fins it may be to great of a temptation form them to resist.

We have a school of 10 rasboras in one of the 30gal tanks, at one time there was a beta in with it and they never bothered it at all. Can not say the same thing for the time (long ago) we tried a beta with neons, he got so mad at having his fins nipped, it did not go well for the neons. Had to separate them.

8. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!

Yoir threads have been merged.

It'll be easier to keep the questions and replies in one thread.

Good luck. :)

9. Melisa389New MemberMember

I was planning on putting two live plants in today, however I do have a driftwood in my aquarium. I do weekly water change 25%

10. ayladWell Known MemberMember

I would separate the betta, but if you upgrade to a bigger tank (which would be the best way to see good schooling behavior), he could keep the 10-gallon and be a very happy betta. :) He may not bother your other fish, but then again he might snap and try to kill them all. Bettas in community tanks can be pretty little time bombs.

The oto would be happier with some friends. I've read many times that it's hard to feed them without growing lots of algae, but I've never kept them.

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The people at petsmart generally have a limited knowledge of the fish they sell. Many of them are kids. If you really want to know about fish and stocking, it's best to talk to people who actually have years of first hand experience with the fish you are interested in.

12. Melisa389New MemberMember

Yeah I'm starting to realize that now, from reading other forums and doing more research. Certain things they really didn't inform me about as newbie :(

13. Melisa389New MemberMember

They school frequently but most of the time they are everywhere.

14. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

thats how most schooling fish are. Schooling is a defense mechanism, so if the fish are comfortable in their environment, they will tend to spread out.

15. Melisa389New MemberMember

Hmm this is going being to be difficult I have my ten gallon tank now. I'm not upgrading to a new tank not for another month or so. As far as my fish mates who should I donate and keep to keep the bio-load at a reasonable level.

16. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If you are going to upgrade to a 20 long or a 29, I would not get rid of any. If you are not having trouble maintaining water quality now, things should be fine in a month or two. Smaller than that, I would get rid of the kuhlis because they need a 30 inch long tank as a minimum, in my opinion and experience. Also, they do best in a larger group, which is one of the reasons they need a larger tank.

17. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

When starting out, it seems logical that the fishstore would be the place to get the very best information about keeping fish. But as you gain experiance, you realize that the fishstore is much more often the place where you get the worst information. So don't feel bad, almost everyone (myself included) gets fooled by the fishstore in the beginning. Thankfully you, like myself, found FishLore and soon you will be very well versed on keeping fish.

18. Melisa389New MemberMember

I just called a friend and he has a 45 gallon tank with freshwater fishes and he's willing to give me his pygmy cories, for my Rasboras, I might give away my otto too. The Loaches I already called pet smart to return them tomorrow before I have to donate them to Petland. Otherwise I'm keeping my 2 ADF, and my mystery snail. I think that should lightening up my tank, until I'm ready to purchase a bigger tank. 6 pygmy cories, 1 betta, 2 ADF, 1 snail

19. Melisa389New MemberMember

Fishlore community has been very helpful to me and I'm being exposed to more information I never knew. Thanks guys.

20. Melisa389New MemberMember

I'm thinking about the snail should she stay or go??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice