Is Music Bad?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sym, Mar 24, 2006.

1. SymNew MemberMember

Hello!  I know extremes of music are bad for anything, but how bad is it actually for fish?? Thanks! ;D

2. vinWell Known MemberMember

It depends. If your 400watt Bose system has it's subwoofer thumping so hard that the everything in the room vibrates then it would have an effect on the fish...But if you're just listening at normal levels then I wouldn't worry about it.

3. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

LOL, I wonder who listens to music like that on a regular basis ( not counting parties of course! ;) ).

I also don't think that loudspeakers turned on at a normal level are bothersome to fish. Anyway, I try not to turn the music on really loud in the room where my tanks are. If I want my music really loud I do it in another room.

4. moon317New MemberMember

I would recommend
    "Moby Dick" by Led Zepplin,
    " Mack the Knife" by Bobby Darin (Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear..)  ;D
    and of course.. anything by Phish.

5. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

or Go Fish, it's a christian band, with a couple songs that are fish-themed (story of Jonah...)
    lol ;)

6. JonWell Known MemberMember

i saw a question like this posted on a website and the response was that it depends on the tank and what its made off / how thick...

the guy wanted to put a 9foot tall cyclendrical acrylic tank in a club and the response said that it was okay even with the loud music and thumping of a club because with a tank that large the acrylic would be very thick and that the noise would all be cancelled out...

glass and acrylic are very different and the thickness of your tank has to be taken into mind. it should be cool as long as you dont have a crzy subwoofer or anything thats got a ton of bass so as to vibrate the tank...

do you really listen to your music that loud that it would concern you lol?

7. MarcWell Known MemberMember

I'm assuming that blasting Metal out of 160w speakers with bass as high as it would go is ok then? :)

8. JonWell Known MemberMember

ehhh... mebbe if its far enuff away from the fish... like a couple rooms away ^,^

9. MarcWell Known MemberMember

It's directly underneath it ::)

10. JonWell Known MemberMember

lol now i know your lying!

11. jim55379Valued MemberMember

underneath...??? like in the basement. Bass carries a lot to the upper floor. Not a good idea. If the fish were downstairs on cement floor and music was loud upstairs I don't think it would affect them much.

12. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I think Marc was just joking... ::)

Just keep the music quiet, and watch your fish. I oh so smartly put my tank on my dresser, and when I'm closing the drawers sometimes I accidentally bang on the dresser, and then all my fish "jump" or freeze. Your fish will tell you if they don't like the music. If they react when you turn it on, then obviously it's too loud. ;)

13. JonWell Known MemberMember

my cories are sensitive to anything so when i open and close the drawer on which my aquarium stands they scurry around... i dont play loud music though ^,^

14. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, I don't play music at all. I'm a freak teenager... ;)

15. JonWell Known MemberMember

lol i just play classic rock n some acid rock from the '80's ... but its really quiet cuz my computer speakers broke and so i just play it out of a head set... still loud enough so i can listen nicely and not wear the phones

16. moon317New MemberMember

I think my fish would give their left fin to hear a little Nina Simone or B.B. King. All they listen to now is my crazy three year old signing Barney tunes.

17. MarcWell Known MemberMember

Wasn't joking.. the speakers and stereo are directly beneath the tank.

18. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Oh...you weren't joking??!! :p Probably not the greatest set-up. Even if the music itself isn't loud, the vibrations from the stereo will travel up to the aquarium and freak the fish. I suppose it would be comparable to a vibrating bed. I would move them ASAP if you plan to play any music. ;)

19. jim55379Valued MemberMember

I usually keep it somewhat mellow for my fish. Metallica, kiss, Pantera, or ac/dc. But play it low

20. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

metallica is mellow?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice