55 Gallon Tank Is loss of life a given with every new tank?

xuekeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all. I am new to Fish Lore and the hobby and so far have found great joy and knowledge. My concern is this: Does every new tank even though properly cycled and all instructions followed with correct readings for the type(s) of fish introduced, lose fish?

I lost a lovely Dalmatian Molly in just two days, his tank mate was a bit spastic on day one but has recovered nicely as is behaving just fine.

I am sad that he died and want to be reassured that I am not the only new mom to suffer through the loss of my fish babies. I know I have done everything correctly as I have constantly referred back to this site for explanation and instruction. All of which I have found extremely helpful. I just need to know that everyone loses a fish or two when they are first starting up or am I alone in my grief?

Thanks.

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your not alone. Unfortunately fish die and it can be hard when your attached to them. I have lost several fish when I started too. There can be different things that affect the fish and cause them to die such as: ammonia levels to high, stress, parasites...etc. You have to rule out which one it may be. Good luck and welcolme to Fishlore.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In my experience...yes. No matter what you do or how perfect your water conditions seem, sometimes something is wrong with a fish that is not obvious until it is too late. Be it a weaker immune system than it's mates or sometimes in the genes.

Keep in mind, also, that a tank takes quite a while to fully mature (about 6 months I believe), even though the initial cycle is done. So some patience is needed.

Take heart! You are not the only one to go through this, and once your tank is firmly established it is a source of joy and pride (think of all we go through, care and maintenance, to get to that stage!)

Hang in there! This site gives one a lot of support when needed, there are so many people on here in different stages with their tanks, you are not alone!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Xuekeeper and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Try not to feel too badly. Many of us have had the same experience of loosing fish. Things happen beyond our control sometimes. It isn't always easy trying to create a natural environment, so to speak.

The fish could very well have been ill when you purchased it. They go through so much from breeders to the fish store it isn't pleasant to think about sometimes.

Sorry for your loss. Chin up!

Ken

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you are not alone in grief, we ALL lose something at sometime...
when i first started, i lost my pleco(which was bound to happen as nothing they eat grows in a new tank) and my 2 golden barbs....i fear they feel victim to nitrate poisoning
later, about a month after i got my kuhli loaches, one vanished!...and one oh my gobies got stuck to the filter :'(.......... and many of my "saved" feeder guppies died from fungus.

all of which these experiences, while hurtful, gave me valuable knowledge to prevent them from happening again. sorry of your loss, i always wanted a dalmatian molly... maybe cuz we didn't get a dalmatian dog ^.^

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore.

Sorry about your molly. All of us here have got your back. You're not alone, don't worry.

xuekeeper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the support. It's just so frustrating when you know you are doing everything as best you can and you still lose one. It's just not fair. My sister practically ignores her Angelfish and they have been thriving for 6 + years, what the h*@!

Thanks again, I do feel a bit better that even the pros go through this.

josaphene

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, you are definatly not alone! i have had fish now for about 6 years and in those 6 yrs i have lost 3 fish, it is quite sad when you lose a fish i find it sad anyway. im having a bit of trouble with my goldfish at the moment, we introduced a new fish to our two common goldfish sid and nancy sids 6 and nancys 3, with our new fish we named them the three amigo's but our new commet goldfish is bullying sid and hes letting her? she has bitten him hes covered in patches where she has nibbled away at him an i actually caught her last night nibbling on the side of his face poor thing so wev removed her shes not happy though and i feel awful on sid and now shes on her own. goldfish are tricky fish to look after you think it will be simple but it isnt everything has to be perfect for them. even if you do everything right something can happen. i had a lovely commet goldfish and had a party for my birthday few yrs ago, my friend brought two lads with her and after many drinks one of them decided to go for a wee in the fish tank and pour some vodka in i didnt realise untill i saw blackey dead and then was told what happened and i was so angry and upset i couldnt beleive someone could do that but apparantly some people do some people eat them?? i could never harm anything.all i can say is be prepared that you may lose a fish or two. i love watching my fish and they play football theyr very intelligent im sure sid winks at me lol! anyway enough of my babbling, enjoy your fish. did you know a goldfish can grow up to 14 inches sids our biggest and he is 5 inches its amazing!!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You're definitely not alone! I lost one cherry barb the night I brought her home and we lost a black Molly totally unexpectedly after she'd been in the tank almost two weeks and she was fine the night before. I lost about 8 fry when I installed a new filter and realized too late that the intake was too strong for them to overcome. But live and learn, and even if you do learn, they'll still die no matter we do. It's sad and we feel powerless when it happens. ((hugs))

-Lisa

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Losing fish at the beginning happens to almost all of us.After my tank was established I bought a kissing gourami and every time I walked to the tank it would swim up to the glass and would make that kissing motion with it's lips.Awhile later it died and I was so attached to that fish that it almost made me give up fish keeping.It still makes me upset to this day to talk about it but once again,it happens to all of us

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello all. I am new to Fish Lore and the hobby and so far have found great joy and knowledge. My concern is this: Does every new tank even though properly cycled and all instructions followed with correct readings for the type(s) of fish introduced, lose fish?

I lost a lovely Dalmatian Molly in just two days, his tank mate was a bit spastic on day one but has recovered nicely as is behaving just fine.

I am sad that he died and want to be reassured that I am not the only new mom to suffer through the loss of my fish babies. I know I have done everything correctly as I have constantly referred back to this site for explanation and instruction. All of which I have found extremely helpful. I just need to know that everyone loses a fish or two when they are first starting up or am I alone in my grief?

Thanks.
This is very common, and honestly I think that many LFS actually depend on this have a continual demand for their fish. I think we've all lost fish, especially before the internet, back when everything was word of mouth and people went to the library to read books instead of web browse.

The most important thing is that you learn from your mishaps, and grow to become a better fishkeeper. We should all strive to do so.

And remember even if you do everything perfectly, things still happen that are out of our control. Take care!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom