Is Light Ok?

ostadsiah

Hello all!
OK first of all, I'm very cheap! I don't have the budget to buy expensive lights and stuff.

Now, I have these LED tube light that is very cheap (around 15$) and it's 26w and the pet store guy said it's for plants but there's nothing on the box that suggests so.
I've had this for over two months now and my Anubias and Java fern are growing very well, and I have algae growing too. So does it mean the light is actually good for plants? Or are my plants growing regardless of my lights, like with the little lights they get from the room?

I'm about to add a lot of new low light plants to my tank (like amazon sword and buce and crypt etc). So now I'm concerned if I should just go with the lights I have now, or change it before getting new plants?

THANKS

SaltyPhone

If your Anubius and java fern are doing well and all you want is low light plants; you should be fine. I have a 10 gallon with just that plus a crypt doing well with the kit led that came with the tank. Just make sure you have a timer on the light and keep it on around 8-10 hrs. That will help keep the algae at bay.

JenC

In my experience anubias, java fern, and Amazon sword can grow under anything, even a little clip on light. My wendtiI crypts also grow well in my 10 gallon that has absolutely terrible, low light (six tiny starter hood LEDs like what SaltyPhone mentioned). The 10 gallon is my profile pic so you can see plants can thrive in low light, you just want to choose those that suit the environment.

I've not grown buce and don't know what it needs.

So no, I wouldn't upgrade the light.

ostadsiah

If your Anubius and java fern are doing well and all you want is low light plants; you should be fine. I have a 10 gallon with just that plus a crypt doing well with the kit led that came with the tank. Just make sure you have a timer on the light and keep it on around 8-10 hrs. That will help keep the algae at bay.
In my experience anubias, java fern, and Amazon sword can grow under anything, even a little clip on light. My wendtiI crypts also grow well in my 10 gallon that has absolutely terrible, low light (six tiny starter hood LEDs like what SaltyPhone mentioned). The 10 gallon is my profile pic so you can see plants can thrive in low light, you just want to choose those that suit the environment.

I've not grown buce and don't know what it needs.

So no, I wouldn't upgrade the light.

Thank you guys! That was very helpful and reassuring!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Parkerbenz
  • Question
Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
Kodiak Aquatics
  • Question