Is life rock considered live Rock once once it's in

Raideress

Reaction score
Is life rock considered live rock once it's been in my aquarium for a set amount of time often I hear people ask do you have live rock and I'm not sure if life rock classifies as live rock

Best Answer - View Jesterrace's answer

Lolorang8

Reaction score
Live rock refers to all the microorganisms and BB making the rock 'live'. If you by pre matured live rock it will come with all those benefits immediately but if you get it sterile it just like cycling a filter.

OP
Raideress

Raideress

Reaction score
Lolorang8 said:
Live rock refers to all the microorganisms and BB making the rock 'live'. If you by pre matured live rock it will come with all those benefits immediately but if you get it sterile it just like cycling a filter.
thats where im a bit unsure as LIFE rock by caribsea isnt live rock, but has some organisms added to it i believe that activate with water, but even if it didnt have the addictive, once its in a cycled tank with fish and sitting for a while would it be then live rock, people say you need live rock in marine setups for filtration, i dont want to buy a heap of life rock only to find its not going to do the job, but love the look of it

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Life rock is man made rock with bacteria painted on. It's very dense and not very porous. It will do the trick but better to get porous rock and let it cycle. It is still a good rock to use just my 2 cents. It will definitely do the job.

OP
Raideress

Raideress

Reaction score
ok thanks i just love how it looks and now i have a few bits wanted to keep to the same

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It doesn't have a lot of the additional visible organisms (ie bristleworms and other hitchikers) but it does offer the bacterial benefits of live rock and you can still get things like Pineapple Sponges and Feather Dusters. The plus side is that it's fairly shelf stable and like dry rock it doesn't come with potential pests. So kind of a compromise between Live Rock and Dry Rock. I have used it on both of my tanks and did a review of it here comparing the Pros and Cons to the other options:

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom