Is Kent-Marine Pro-Ammonia Detox a good substitute for SeaChem Prime while doing a fish-in cycle?

tapwater

I don't have any SeaChem Prime on hand right now, but I do have Pro-Ammonia detox, and I wanted to hear from others whether or not this would be a good enough substitute for Prime in my fish-in cycle. I'm having a hard time finding resources that compare the products and I found a chart on a different forum (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to it or not) which says that Prime treats ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine, chloromine, heavy metals, and adds a slime coat, while Pro-Ammonia Detox does the same thing except for heavy metals, and does not add a slime coat. Could Pro-Ammonia Detox be okay if my water conditioner makes up for the slime coat, or is it a must when doing a fish-in cycle?
Just realized I probably should've put this in Water Supplements, sorry about that! I'm still new around here. If a mod would like to move it then that's okay

TucanSam

From what I can tell, Kent seems like it's a pretty good brand that does the same basic job. The slime coat stuff in prime is probably helpful, but as long as the Kent product still helps lockup ammonia so you can remove it, it doesn't matter much which you use. Prime is just popular for what it does, but that doesn't mean it's the only thing you can use.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

A quick google search tells me this product should work just fine. To be totally honest this is the first time I've heard about Prime adding to the slime coat. Again to be perfectly honest I can't see needing any product to add to the fishes slime coat. I have to think that is one more sales pitch to try to get us to buy one product instead of another.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views
peachsonas
Replies
Views
mattgirl