Is Keeping 6 Guppies In A 5g Tank Along With 3 Cories Overstocking?

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 25g community tank with tetras, guppies, danios and cories. Recently I have purchased tiger barbs and added them there. They are small now but here in fishlore many told me that they will nip the fins of the guppies after they grow big. So I am planning to rehoming my guppies in a 5g tank. Can I keep 6 guppies in a 5g tank with 3 or 4 cories or will that be overstocking my tank?
Also can anyone also tell me is it possible to keep guppies and tiger barbs in a same tank? Say if I keep a school of 8 tiger barbs, will then also it will be a problem? I have also heard that tiger barbs fin nip guppies only when they are hungry, if they don't get hungry they will not bother the guppies. Is this true? If I feed my fish 2 times a day and ensure they get never hungry, then is there a chance to keep the barbs with the guppies? There is always a chance that they will fin nip the guppies I know, but is there also any chance that they don't bother the guppies and get along?
Till now I have noticed no signs of fin nipping in my guppies, but maybe because my barbs are very young now.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, it will certainly overstock a 5g. You might be able to get away with 2-3(max)guppies but not anything more and cories need a 20 long so even a 10 will be overstocked.
I’d never keep guppies or any other fish with longer fins with tigers, I don’t believe feeding would help much either as, from my understanding, they don’t go after longer fins because they mistake it for food. I don’t believe it to be very possible or at least not a safe possibility to try.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Platylover said:
Yes, it will certainly overstock a 5g. You might be able to get away with 2-3(max)guppies but not anything more and cories need a 20 long so even a 10 will be overstocked.
I’d never keep guppies or any other fish with longer fins with tigers, I don’t believe feeding would help much either as, from my understanding, they don’t go after longer fins because they mistake it for food. I don’t believe it to be very possible or at least not a safe possibility to try.
Then I will not add any cories in my tank and I will buy a bigger tank say 10g to keep my 6 guppies. I have decided to rehome the guppies soon and not keep them with the tiger barbs, but just out of curiosity say if I add a add few more tiger barbs( though 25g my tank will be overstocked then) but still just as a theory, say if I had a bigger tank and there I had a school of 10 tiger barbs, then would it have been possible to keep the guppies along with them? I am asking this as I have read and also heard that a moderate school of tiger barbs keep their aggression among themselves, show their aggression among themselves and don't bother other fishes? Is it true?

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get a tape measure, scour craigslist or fb marketplace for a deal on a sweet setup

Ask yourself, what is the biggest tank you can practically accommodate and build around that idea first. Not doing this is the biggest correlation between impulse buying and overstocking fatalities.

Mostly just be patient. The fish at the pet store aren't going anywhere. Don't get roped in by sales. I would rather buy 1 fish for 5$ that live for 5years. Than 5 fish for 5$ that will die preventable deaths in a few months

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you just temporarily keeping them in the 10g then rehoming them somewhere else? Or is it permeant residence? If it’s just a temporary place until you find a different home for them then a 5g would be fine as a temporary place. Tigers are best kept in 10+ to spread out aggression and to keep it within the school, but I don’t think that would entirely cut out their fin nippiness to other fish. That’s why tigers can be a pain to stock with sometimes lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom