Is It Worth The Risk? Fish Buying Problem

Cfox260

Reaction score
I’m visiting some family about 2 hours away from where I live and went to the LFS around here. Turns out they have an apisto agassizi super red that is exactly what I’ve been looking for.

The problem is I didn’t expect to buying fish when I left home, so I didn’t bring anything to transport fish with me.

Is it possible to just leave it in the bag on my way back home or is it not worth the risk?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My closest fish store is an hour away and they ride in the passanger seat just fine. I wouldn't imagine 2 hours being any different. Just ask them to put it in the big bag so it has more water. Oh and you can throw a coat or sweatshirt over it to hold in more heat.

Cfox260

Reaction score
My closest fish store is an hour away and they ride in the passanger seat just fine. I wouldn't imagine 2 hours being any different. Just ask them to put it in the big bag so it has more water. Oh and you can throw a coat or sweatshirt over it to hold in more heat.
Thank you! I think I’m just gonna go for it and wrap it in a sweatshirt like you suggested

Soarin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fish are in bags for multiple hours or days during transport, I traveled an hour with my fish in a bag and they're healthy. No worries. How's the fish doing now?

Aquaman9101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just keep away from heat sources and sunlight and it should be good. I've heard tales of fish sitting in a car for a day or so and being ok. However, such a fish would need to be separated from the water because the built up ammonia becomes suddenly toxic when in comes in contact with fresh air. If you should find yourself with some fish who have been sitting in the bag for a prolonged amount of time, get a net and a bucket, pour the fish and water over the net and dump the fish in your aquarium (acclimate the animal(s) before doing so).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom