Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Flyfrod, Apr 11, 2010.

1. FlyfrodValued MemberMember

I bought a used 120gal(60x18x26) tank last week. I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I love the look of reef tanks and have always thought about trying it. My question is, is it worth it to setup a reef tank or should I stick to freshwater? I don't mind doing water changes and other stuff. I guess I wonder if the reward outweighs the cost.

2. locoyo386Well Known MemberMember

Hi there, I like to look at reef tanks, just don't see myself doing one. I love the fish only tanks just as much as the reef tanks. They are a lot easier to maintain and cost less than the reef tanks. My setups are very basic and I can keep almost any fish in them. To me I can justify the cost to maintain them by the amount I enjoy having them.

3. ATPWell Known MemberMember

The maintainence depends on $$$. The more money you spend, generally the easier it will be. For example, checking water prameters: calcium, kh, mg, ph, salinity, nitrate etc. is required and it does take a while to check all of them, but if you got the $$ you could buy monitors. (a calcium monitor costs like $250 I think).

Another example is to maintain calcium. Calcium is used by corals to make their skeleton and some corals are made out of calcium itself. When you have tons of SPS, LPS corals, your calcium levels will go down pretty fast. To counter this, you could set up a calcium reactor, but to set up one will cost a minimum of $500 depeding on what size/quality you get. A calcium reactor will also cost the hasle of maintaing PH since C02 is added whic makes the water more acidic. To counter this problem, you could set up a Kalkswasser Reactor which probably cost atlesat $200-300 and above.

The skimmer is another example that will affect maintaince. The better/bigger skimmer you get, the more it will skim which means its easier to control you nitrate and other nutrient levels. It will also make your water more clear :)

4. zeddyValued MemberMember

i switched from fresh to a reef a couple years ago and with no regrets. it is pricey but its a pation of mine. you can build slowly and save a bit buying used but even at that its expencive