Is It Worth It?

AmunetDeVawn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve been thinking of starting a salt water aquarium. I already have a freshwater aquarium and eventually I would like to start my own aquarium business. Should I start a salt water aquarium? Is it worth it?

Salem

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It depends on what you want out of it and how much you're willing to work/pay for it. As I mentioned in the other post though I wouldn't get another aquarium or any other fish until you learn the nitrogen cycle.

AmunetDeVawn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It depends on what you want out of it and how much you're willing to work/pay for it. As I mentioned in the other post though I wouldn't get another aquarium or any other fish until you learn the nitrogen cycle.
My tank is completely cycled

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve been thinking of starting a salt water aquarium. I already have a freshwater aquarium and eventually I would like to start my own aquarium business. Should I start a salt water aquarium? Is it worth it?
As someone who has the somewhat unique perspective of starting with saltwater first, I would say it is worth it. Yes it is more expensive and time consuming, however Freshwater simply doesn't offer the color and in general the unique individual personalities of saltwater fish. Don't get me wrong there are some colorful freshwater fish and plants and some do have interesting personalities but you don't get the massive variety that you do with saltwater fish and corals.

That said, I do recommend for a newbie to start out with FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) with Easy to Moderate Care fish. Why? It's cheaper (Corals require pricey lights and the corals or coral frags themselves are pricey) as well as the fact that Corals require additional water parameter testing and are more sensitive to things like nitrate levels than fish are.

One of the popular opinions I disagree with is the idea that you need freshwater experience first before starting with saltwater or X number of years of freshwater experience first before trying saltwater. The reason I disagree with that is that precious little from freshwater transfers to the salty side and in point of fact it actually teaches you a number of bad habits that don't transfer well. What I recommend is spending several months doing research specifically for what is needed for a healthy saltwater environment as the statement "NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS FAST IN A SALTWATER TANK" is absolutely true. I actually avoided virtually all of the common newbie mistakes when going salty because I spent 4 months doing research before I ever bought my first salty tank.

I would recommend looking at the Youtube series from BRS called 52 weeks of reefing, as well as this vid on common mistakes that folks make when transferring over from freshwater to saltwater for starters:

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What kind of aquarium business? I feel like being good at saltwater fish keeping is a must if you plan to maintain people's aquariums or something.

Marijn Lange

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cleaning people’s aquarium is a pain in the ****, way to many string attached. What if u damage the glass? What if a fish dies a couple of days after you have done maintenace on there aquarium. If anything goes wrong in the days or week after u did maintenace they will blame you....

Perhaps breeding fish? Selling them on an online marketplace? Or growing corals. Perhaps if you’re good af aquascaping or setting up aquariums you can help people with that.
What kind of aquarium business? I feel like being good at saltwater fish keeping is a must if you plan to maintain people's aquariums or something.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom