Is It Worth It To Raise Brine Shrimp? Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Brenden, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Brenden

BrendenValued MemberMember

As a kid, as I'm sure a lot of you have done...I bought a little "sea monkey" starter kid every month or so and raised them until they would inevitably die.

Always thought they were pretty cool little creatures, but as a kid I never paid attention to the heating, breeding, and basic needs of them...because they were sold to me as a toy when I was a kid.

Years later, as an adult, I have a tank and I keep freshwater fish.

I have heard that some fish really enjoy brine shrimp, but it doesn't really matter if the shrimp are alive or dead.

I kinda been wanting to set up a small tank to raise brine shrimp, but I just want to know if you guys believe it's even worth it.

From what I read online, brines need much more than what the "sea monkey" brand tells kids. They need heaters, a sponge filter, and a reasonable sized tank in order to sustain a population.

My question is...is it even worth it in the end if my only intention is to use them as food?​

2. Finatic005

Finatic005Valued MemberMember

It’s not worth it unless you have fry or extremely small nano fish. Otherwise get Hikari Freeze Dried Bloodworms. My betta loves them and I’ve heard of many many people using them. Fish find them “delicious” and they are very good for your fish due to protein in them. Don’t make that the only food tho, fish need variety just like we do.

3. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Yeah ofc, I been honestly lax on my variety for feeding them.

Recently the last fish I had passed away from a disease that was spreading in the tank...so currently re-starting the tank and running daily test to make sure all is good before giving it another go.

However once I start it back up, going to get some bloodworms. Do you know if Guppies like bloodworms? I have heard they eat mosquito larvae, and I think I saw somewhere that they DO like them...just never tried it before.

I do know bettas like them though.

4. Finatic005

I’ve never heard of a fish that doesn’t like them, if that helps.

5. fissh

fisshWell Known MemberMember

no !!!!

6. Finatic005

No for what?

7. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Good answer lol

Does help

8. Finatic005

Lol

9. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

As you probably realized as a kid, BBS are pretty small so you would need a lot to feed your fish, and raising them to adults before feeding can be labor-intensive. As mentioned above, bloodworms are a great snack and can be frozen to last longer. I've never heard of a fish that doesn't like them. Black worms are another great choice and are easier if you want live food instead. Of course, since it is summer, you can just stick a bucket of water outside and get live mosquito larvea, but thats kinda a seasonal thing.

If you are asking specifically about guppies, I would recommend "farming" mosquito larvae (this is actually guppies' natural diet... just make sure none of them fly away!) for now and buy frozen bloodworms (yes, they love bloodworms!) to feed once the mosquitoes stop. Frozen is a lot better than freeze-dried because it holds more nutrients and is easier for fish to digest, but you do need to put it somewhere in your freezer.
    Variety is key though. Don't feed your fish purely on bloodworms/mosquito larvae/black worms/or brine shrimp. Add in a fix of "processed"/store-bought foods to make sure they are getting their required nutrients and not just protein live foods offer.

10. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Sea monkeys are a hybridized version of Brine Shrimp. Anyway, I’ve never raised any Ram fry without feeding live baby Brine. It’s incredibly easy and takes maybe 2 minutes to set up a new hatchery of eggs. The natural movement of live Brine Shrimp seems to just drive fish crazy! They love it.

11. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Alright then, definitely going to get some bloodworms!

As far as the mosquitoes go, I'd rather them be as far away from the inside of my house as possible lol

12. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Haha, thats very true ;) but believe me... your fish will eat them before they even tough the water, no less fly away!