Is it worth getting a skimmer if I change my filter pad daily

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmer' started by Semiaquatic, Aug 14, 2015.

1. SemiaquaticValued MemberMember

I have a 29 gallon reef aquarium and I currently have two aquaclear 50 hob filters, and a finnex canister filter. I run phosguard in my hob filters and seachem de-nitrate in the canister.
    I change out my filter pad in my hob filters daily and they are constantly pretty dirty.
    If I'm "exporting" nutrients and detritus so quickly via mechanical filtration, is it still worth ditching one of the hob filters and getting a skimmer?
    Would the skimmer do more than a couple of hob filters mechanically removing waste? I'm also looking to add a phosphate reactor as soon as I can find a way to fit it in the the crowded back of my tank haha

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. GenaWell Known MemberMember

Isn't that expensive, buying all those filter pads?

3. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I would get a skimmer. It should remove any organic compounds like waste and food. Are your nitrates high?

4. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Yes it's worth it, filter pads take solid waste out of the water. Skimmers take out dissolved organic compounds from the water that just pass through filters. If you can export nutrients enough through regular water changes and keep up with that then a skimmer may not be worth it, but I find it's always good added protection and I like having a skimmer on my tank.

5. SemiaquaticValued MemberMember

Good to know. I'll probably ditch one of the hob filters and get a skimmer.
    And my nitrates are never high. Always 0-5 on the Api test

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice