Is it weird that

Skrabbitskrabbit

Is it weird that I love my fish but am seriously freaked out at the thought of wild fish touching or nibbling me while swimming at a lake or river (or ocean for that matter). Two of our favorite nearby swimming holes are ripe with over friendly fish. At the nearby “lake” (pond), there’s a school of crappie that will seriously follow swimmers around to peck at feet skin or whatever it is they do. If I ever brought a net, I know I could just scoop one up. Our other spot on the river, I got nibbles 3 times and freaked out each time. I’m trying not to be a big scaredy-cat around my three year old but gosh!!!
Am I the only one?

jkkgron2

I swim in lakes a lot and some of the fish freak me out when they come to investigate, they’re all friendly but it’s weird when a bunch come up and start pecking at your fingers.

StarGirl

When I was in school we lived on a inland lake and the little Sunfish and Bluegill would peck our legs. Once you knew it was a small little fish It didn't bother us....lol Just kick your feet and scare em away.

Skrabbitskrabbit

StarGirl said:
When I was in school we lived on a inland lake and the little Sunfish and Bluegill would peck our legs. Once you knew it was a small little fish It didn't bother us....lol Just kick your feet and scare em away.
I do but the school of crappie is relentless I don’t think they would leave me alone unless I made contact with one lol. Which I would also not want to do haha. Also doesn’t help much that I tend to do more wading than actual swimming because of said toddler. Cue the jaws music...

Betta'sAnonymous

I used to wade in the Gulf and let the little fish peck at my fingers.

Skrabbitskrabbit

Next time I go to the lake I’m going to take a video or something, I call them the tame fish.

Skrabbitskrabbit

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I used to wade in the Gulf and let the little fish peck at my fingers.
Brave sir (or ma’am), I couldn’t do it....

Betta'sAnonymous

Well, apparently it is a spa treatment in places to wade in a pool at a spa and all these little fish come up and peck the dead skin off your feet.

StarGirl

I think that would be weird...

Betta'sAnonymous

StarGirl said:
I think that would be weird...
They would get FULL on my feet...always dead skin and callouses there...and my feet are kinda big....

NBettas83

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Well, apparently it is a spa treatment in places to wade in a pool at a spa and all these little fish come up and peck the dead skin off your feet.
But I'm pretty sure there is some danger in this that I've heard of, like infections or something.

We have Crayfish and Large fish like Salmon, that's what freaks me out so I would never go into a creek lol.

Betta'sAnonymous

NBettas83 said:
But I'm pretty sure there is some danger in this that I've heard of, like infections or something.

We have Crayfish and Large fish like Salmon, that's what freaks me out so I would never go into a creek lol.
I am more worried about the snapping turtles we got almost everywhere...and water moccasins when down south...but have no problems facing a shark!!

NBettas83

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I am more worried about the snapping turtles we got almost everywhere...and water moccasins when down south...but have no problems facing a shark!!
YOU HAVE SNAPPING TURTLES IN NEBRASKA???????
I hope they aren't in Colorado.

NBettas83

NBettas83 said:
Just checked, they are native to Colorado.

I'm never stepping in any body of water here again.

Betta'sAnonymous

NBettas83 said:
I have seen 2 in the last few weeks just on the road! I grew up by a pond full of turtles and bullheads...we made a sport of trying to thin out both...

Skrabbitskrabbit

I would soil myself if I saw a snapping turtle swimming with me. Or snake. Both of which are not unlikely in North Carolina

StarGirl

Mee too.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom