Is it true that mystery snails can not reproduce without a male and female?

mollygirl1
I am thinking about getting a mystery snail but do not want any eggs. I was told I needed a sexed pair to produce eggs. is this true?

el337
Yes, that is true. You'd need a male and female. Though even if you brought a female home, she may have already mated with a male at the store. But if you don't want babies, you can easily remove the egg clutch which they lay above the water line or underneath the lid of the tank.

Junne
Females can come from the store with eggs. The best way to avoid that is to get a baby mystery snail ( one that's the size of a peanut M&M or smaller )
They will less likely be mature enough to have mated and carrying eggs.

xxbyamomentx
I had a female snail that came to me already pregnant and ended up laying a total of six egg clutches. It can happen - and I do now have baby snails from it.

If you don't want babies, you can always remove the egg clutch when you see it. You could also try buy/sell/trade section on this forum once you reach 50 posts and get a male snail if you don't want to even think about eggs.

Another thing you could do if that sounds like too much work, is get a nerite snail...or as many as you'd like, really. They can lay eggs in freshwater, but nothing will come of those eggs. My nerites only lay eggs on the underside of my driftwood so I don't really even have to see the white dots - and nerites don't hatch and grow unless they're in brackish water.

mollygirl1
thank you

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
V1K
  • Question
Replies
Views
WagglePets
Replies
Views