Is it too late to add more bettas?

1. Kaiji Initiate Member

Here's my problem: I have had two female bettas in my 55G tank for about a year, and never any problems. Because of that I decided to hold off from getting more female bettas in the tank. Now for the first time last week they were fighting with each other! I separated them and left my red betta in a 1.5G tank as a temporary measure. At this point I suppose they will no longer get along :(. I've been reading about sorority tanks for awhile, and if I understood correctly, the more females the better for the hierarchy.

/_\ *Sad*, What can I do? Should I try providing more hiding places? Is it too late to add more bettas?

2. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Were there any recent changes made to the tank that might have made them bicker, or is it just a maturity thing?

3. Kaiji Initiate Member

I did make a recent change, I added a wood decoration to the bottom of the tank.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.
    As bettas mature sometimes their personalities change.
    Imo, since they already proved they will fight it's not a good idea to add any more to the mix.

5. Kaiji Initiate Member

Awe.. well, thanks for the heads up. I tend to forget that fish aren't just instinct, and have likes and dislikes unique to each individual. Perhaps they were on each others dislike list.

6. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Whenever you make changes to the tank, it disrupts the hierarchy. I'd give it a day or two and if they're still fighting, you may have to separate them. I agree that no more females should be added.

7. Kaiji Initiate Member

That may have been it :). I've been checking the tank constantly and now it's peaceful again!