Is It Time To Let Go?

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Messages
191
Reaction score
53
Points
38
Experience
Just started
I really hate the thought of euthanasia, but my betta is suffering from pretty bad Dropsy. He still has not eaten, cloudy bulged eyes, pine coned scales, rapid breathing, and not able to swim properly anymore (he sinks). I don’t want him to suffer anymore, but I always have hope that he could bounce back. I’ve done just about everything I can. Any advice?
 

Duardo

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
14
Points
28
Nightshadethebetta said:
I really hate the thought of euthanasia, but my betta is suffering from pretty bad Dropsy. He still has not eaten, cloudy bulged eyes, pine coned scales, rapid breathing, and not able to swim properly anymore (he sinks). I don’t want him to suffer anymore, but I always have hope that he could bounce back. I’ve done just about everything I can. Any advice?
Have you treated him with medicine? And kept the water at optimum conditions?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Messages
191
Reaction score
53
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Duardo said:
Have you treated him with medicine? And kept the water at optimum conditions?
I’ve been trying to keep the water as best as I possibly can for him. It’s warm and with a filter. I’ve started him on some medication today, but he’s still only getting worse.
 

Duardo

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
14
Points
28
Nightshadethebetta said:
I’ve been trying to keep the water as best as I possibly can for him. It’s warm and with a filter. I’ve started him on some medication today, but he’s still only getting worse.
how long has he been like this and I hope you turned off your filter if it has activated carbon!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Messages
191
Reaction score
53
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Duardo said:
how long has he been like this and I hope you turned off your filter if it has activated carbon!
He’s going on day 5 of this I thought he had popeye at first, but wow was I wrong. The Dropsy progressed fast. And yes, my filter is off.
 

Duardo

Valued Member
Messages
61
Reaction score
14
Points
28
Nightshadethebetta said:
He’s going on day 5 of this I thought he had popeye at first, but wow was I wrong. The Dropsy progressed fast. And yes, my filter is off.
sorry to hear, do some research online about this and then decide your best course of action. Good luck
 

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
2,748
Points
348
Experience
More than 10 years
If you just started medication I would try that first. You won’t see much improvement day one but give it a few attempts and if it still in bad shape and medication won’t do much you should end its life.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Messages
191
Reaction score
53
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Fashooga said:
If you just started medication I would try that first. You won’t see much improvement day one but give it a few attempts and if it still in bad shape and medication won’t do much you should end its life.
That’s what I plan on. I hate seeing him suffer But I’m going to keep on trying. I’ve got some new medication coming in the mail today just in case.

Duardo said:
sorry to hear, do some research online about this and then decide your best course of action. Good luck
Yeah, that’s what I’ll do. I’m trying everything I possibly can to get him better. We’ll see what happens.
 

stella1979

Moderator
Messages
7,494
Reaction score
9,629
Points
608
Experience
5 to 10 years
Poor baby. So sorry for you both.

I'm not sure I can help, but I want to try. What med have you tried, and what is the new one that you've ordered?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Messages
191
Reaction score
53
Points
38
Experience
Just started
stella1979 said:
Poor baby. So sorry for you both.

I'm not sure I can help, but I want to try. What med have you tried, and what is the new one that you've ordered?
I’m currently using Betta Revive. I have KanaPlex coming in the mail hopefully today. Pets mart had recommend to try erythromycin, but I only used that until my Betta Revive came in. I had to order everything online, sadly. I’m not sure there’s much left I can do. He’s turning yellow
 

stella1979

Moderator
Messages
7,494
Reaction score
9,629
Points
608
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, some things are just too hard to come back from. I'm not sure I'd even make the switch to a new med at this point. Kanaplex is a very good med to have on hand, but it's a strong one and sort of rough on the fish's liver. It's worth it if a disease is caught early, but if there isn't much hope, I don't think I'd put a fish through the treatment. Just keep in mind that over medicating, or incorrect medicating, can often make things worse. I could be wrong about making the switch, but this is just my opinion.

Betta Revive isn't a slouch either. It's a good broad spectrum medicine, so I think I would continue with that... unless you believe that he is just suffering too much, at which point I would euthanize. I hate to say it and have shed tears each time I've done it, but watching them struggle is perhaps harder on you both. I used to love the smell of cloves...

I'm very sympathetic to you. A beloved dwarf gourami of mine went from seemingly stellar health to dead in a matter of six days last fall. It was heartbreaking, so I feel that I know just how hard this is for you. Good luck.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Messages
191
Reaction score
53
Points
38
Experience
Just started
stella1979 said:
Yeah, some things are just too hard to come back from. I'm not sure I'd even make the switch to a new med at this point. Kanaplex is a very good med to have on hand, but it's a strong one and sort of rough on the fish's liver. It's worth it if a disease is caught early, but if there isn't much hope, I don't think I'd put a fish through the treatment. Just keep in mind that over medicating, or incorrect medicating, can often make things worse. I could be wrong about making the switch, but this is just my opinion.

Betta Revive isn't a slouch either. It's a good broad spectrum medicine, so I think I would continue with that... unless you believe that he is just suffering too much, at which point I would euthanize. I hate to say it and have shed tears each time I've done it, but watching them struggle is perhaps harder on you both. I used to love the smell of cloves...

I'm very sympathetic to you. A beloved dwarf gourami of mine went from seemingly stellar health to dead in a matter of six days last fall. It was heartbreaking, so I feel that I know just how hard this is for you. Good luck.
I truly appreciate your response. I hate to see the little guy suffer, so it’s hard to decide what to do. I’ll continue with Betta Revive for a few days, and see what happens. I don’t think he will make it sadly, but I can say that I at least tried But thank you again for your sweet response, I’ll update this forum again if and when anything changes!
 

stella1979

Moderator
Messages
7,494
Reaction score
9,629
Points
608
Experience
5 to 10 years
RIP Nightshade Please take comfort in knowing that you gave him your love and did your best by him. I can tell by your choices and responses that you did.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom