Is it time to euthanize my betta?

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Jeff is still not well. For the past month he has been living on the bottom of the tank seemingly unable to float, though he can swim up with some effort. About a week ago I moved him to an empty 10 gallon "hospital" tank (with a cycled filter) just in case there was something funky growing in his tank. I put him in a breeder box so he'd be able to surface easier and dosed the water with api stress coat, and doing frequent water changes. I also tried feeding him some Daphnia.

I haven't really seen any change in his behavior. He pretty much spends all his time laying on his side on the bottom of the breeder box. He will eat if I drop pellets in front of him. His fins are kinda ragged though and he doesn't look great. We've had him for about 2 years and 2 months so put his age somewhere between 2.5 and 3 years I'd guess.

I don't know that there is anything else to do for him. From what I'm seeing it sure seems like he's probably got fluid filling his swim bladder and it doesn't seem like much can be done about that. But he's still eating. I have no idea if he's in any pain, or if fish really experience pain like we do, but laying around on your side all the time doesn't really seem like a very fulfilling life for a fish and I suspect the mostly likely outcome at this point is that he slowly grows weaker and weaker and dies.

So at this point, should I break out the clove oil and put an end to this? Or is there anything else I should try before giving up?

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If the fish has seemed to stop fighting for his life is usually when I decide to put it down.
If it seems like the poor little guy is no longer putting up a fight I would call it done, especially if this has been going on for a month or so.

I can’t really think of other ways to treat him, but I know some others might be more experienced in betta medication than me.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
does the food you are feeding include garlic in it? if not, try soaking pellets and then feeding.

whatever tank he is in, you can try to lower the water if swimming up is hard. My last tank I bought a 20 long and not a 29 gallon because I had a fish with height swimming issues.

If it's a quality of life issue, no judgement here. You know what is best. Seeing a pet suffer is very tough and letting go is never easy. My advise, whatever you do, don't feel guilt for it (as we are inclined to do by 2nd guessing it.) You are doing what you feel is best.

New Threads