Is It The Driftwood? Question

1. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

Hi all, I have a question.

I have a 50 gallon tropical tank, planted, with a variety of very small fish (think guppy size), some plecos, cory catfish, and mystery snails.

I am having problems with the water just not staying clear. It's sort of a brownish fog, if that makes sense? I did recently (like last week) upgrade to a Cascade 100 filter with the spray bar to spread out the flow from the filter. Because I have all smaller fish, they were getting tossed around and stressed out with my last filter. I'm assuming that I may be experiencing a small bacterial bloom from the switch. Even after weekly 40% water changes, the color goes right back to the brown tint within a matter of hours.

But would driftwood cause the brownish color? I have one good sized piece of driftwood, and one piece of mapano(?) wood in the tank, as well as all live plants (java fern, red wisteria, assorted anubis, and hornwort).

Parameters have been perfect, although since changing the filter the ammonia rose a bit (read 1.0 today). Is there anything I can do about the color? Or do I just have to deal with it?

2. McGoo

McGoo Valued Member Member

If the driftwood is fairly new it is possible that it could be leeching tannins in the water column. It takes quite a bit to get that to stop. However, purigen can be a big help in removing that. Plus it's reusable. There are quite a bit of videos on YouTube about the stuff and how to use it, and lots of info online about it. Hope this is of some use to you

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, it's the driftwood.
    Your water has tannins in it, and that actually is not something that you should be worried about. It's really healthy for the fish, and provides a more secure feel to skittish fish.

4. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

Thanks for the info!

5. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

Ok, that's good news. I've never had driftwood in a tank before but I know my plecos love it. I don't mind the color really, I was just worried that something was wrong!

Thanks for easing my fears