Is it save to transfer fishes from old tank to new one?

PeaP

Hi...I have a 54-liter tank...I am buying a new one 84 liter. Is it safe to transfer fishes from the old tank to the new one?... I will transfer gravel, filter, plants, stones, wood, I will also transfer all the water (and add some of the new water) and I will add some substrate for fish underneath. I have 8 neon tetras 6 killifish, 3 dwarf rainbowfishes, 2 otocinclus and one pleco. How will otocinclus be after that? Please help!

Flyfisha

That is the correct way to do a transfer to a new tank. Temperature matched conditioned water should be added to for the extra 30 litres. A heater should be used and set as close as possible to the old temperature.

The Otto and pleco should be ok with the algae on any ornaments. A bristle nose pleco will still likely need more floor space , they get quite big as they reach maturity.

Upvote 0

PeaP

thank you so much, you really helped me

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Move the old filter to the new tank. if you only have one heater and one thermometer. you will need to carefully add tap water and check the temperature in both tanks before adding the fish. Or like you said just add the fish in their current water, and carefully and slowly add new water to fill it up.
You can completely rinse the gravel if you want a clean start. You wont lose your cycle doing that. If any of the decorations has algae, carefully move that to the tank for the otos.

I suggest you get a tank closer to 136 l or 30 gallons for all those fish.

Upvote 0

PeaP

Move the old filter to the new tank. if you only have one heater and one thermometer. you will need to carefully add tap water and check the temperature in both tanks before adding the fish. Or like you said just add the fish in their current water, and carefully and slowly add new water to fill it up.
You can completely rinse the gravel if you want a clean start. You wont lose your cycle doing that. If any of the decorations has algae, carefully move that to the tank for the otos.

I suggest you get a tank closer to 136 l or 30 gallons for all those fish.
Thank you for your advice
Will I need to acclimate the fishes?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

No need to acclimate when using the same water.?

No need to waste time getting the decorating correct. Just add everything and change the decorations around later. The important thing is no plants dry out. The ornaments , filters, rocks and gravel etc all stays wet and the water temperature does not drop. No need to rush but don’t take a hour and let the water get cold.

Personally I would rinse the gravel on another week/ month. Or not rinse it at all?

You can do a water change the next day. You can adjust the ornaments as well.

Having done that kind of move myself many times you will need to get as much water out first. And move the fish when ready. They will be fine in the old tank in two inches of water but as soon as you start moving gravel the water will be cloudy . Move the fish before the gravel or you will have trouble seeing the fish to catch them.

Upvote 0

PeaP

Do I need to wash the tank first?

really thank you for all your help
No need to acclimate when using the same water.?

No need to waste time getting the decorating correct. Just add everything and change the decorations around later. The important thing is no plants dry out. The ornaments , filters, rocks and gravel etc all stays wet and the water temperature does not drop. No need to rush but don’t take a hour and let the water get cold.

Personally I would rinse the gravel on another week/ month. Or not rinse it at all?

You can do a water change the next day. You can adjust the ornaments as well.

Having done that kind of move myself many times you will need to get as much water out first. And move the fish when ready. They will be fine in the old tank in two inches of water but as soon as you start moving gravel the water will be cloudy . Move the fish before the gravel or you will have trouble seeing the fish to catch them.
really thank you for all your help

Upvote 0

jake37

No. Just don't clean the filter before you transfer it. Also make sure the temp between old and new environment is relatively close (3 degrees is a good target but 5 or 6 would probably not be harmful for your specific fishes). The new tank won't have a lot of algae - though there will be some on plants, stones and wood but you might need to to give the otto a little algae (zuc or algae wafer) the first week or two.

Upvote 0

PeaP

No. Just don't clean the filter before you transfer it. Also make sure the temp between old and new environment is relatively close (3 degrees is a good target but 5 or 6 would probably not be harmful for your specific fishes). The new tank won't have a lot of algae - though there will be some on plants, stones and wood but you might need to to give the otto a little algae (zuc or algae wafer) the first week or two.
thank you...I will feed them

Upvote 0

Fishfriendof315

All depends. If it was brand new from store a wipe down with damp rag. Used I'd spray soak inside with a vinegar water mix. Then break out a razor blade for glass and green scotch brite pad for seals

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PeaP
Replies
Views
Macandcheesequeen
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
Replies