Is it safe? Help 

ParisRose

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have one betta fish. Recently we had to move his tank to a different room. I took him out of his 2 gall tank so I could transfer the tank upstairs. There was a spill and about 90% of the water was gone. There was enough water to keep the filter media (the air stone) wet. I kept that wet and went to go rinse the tank and gravel with hot water. I put the tank back up and refilled it with fresh water treated with Stress Coat. Right now he's sitting in the QT tank it's only half a gallon. I don't have the money to buy a master test kit and I have yet to go to the local pet store. So no water params. Would it be ok for me to put him back in the two gallon if I treated it with stress coat? Or do I have to cycle it?

My theory behind this is he's just one fish how much waste could he produce.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would allow the new tank to get back up to temperature first.

Stress Coat will have dechlorinated your water, so you should be ok there.

Then, I would probably use the 'bucket method' of acclimation (https://www.fishlore.com/acclimating-tropicalfish.htm) to re-introduce him to the new water conditions. That said, you should be fine just to put him straight back in once it's up to temperature. (I'm a little pedantic)

As long as your filter media etc didn't dry out, it will also be fine.

You say there was a spill, I'm assuming this doesn't mean 'dropped the tank', and the tank is still sound.

BTW - Welcome to fishlore

ParisRose

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it wasn't dropped it was more of me slipping on stairs and water going everywhere.
i just hate seeing him in that tiny tank looking at his big tank giving me a look that says "why can't I go home"

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It won't take long for the tank to heat up again. It's only 2 gallon

You just don't want to risk a temperature shock on the poor guy. Moving house is always stressful for your fish, so there's no need to add to his stress for now.

Also - and others may differ - I would probably hold off feeding him today until it's all settled again and he's had a chance to relax again.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!!

ParisRose said:
My theory behind this is he's just one fish how much waste could he produce.
He'll produce enough ammonia to be toxic to him if don't do daily water changes until the tank does cycle.
If it's already cycled, he should be ok with weekly maintenance.

If would be a good idea to get a good liquid test kit so you can monitor his water conditions to see where you stand.

ParisRose

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How big of water changes daily?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would do about 40-50%. This effectively halves the amount of waste in his tank. This is only if your tank readings are not ammonia=0, nitrite=0 & nitrate=under 20 though. If they are, a weekly change of about 20% is all you need.

Ryan, I agree with not feeding again today until settled, I like to be safe rather than sorry too!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads