Is it safe to put my fish in this tank now ?

1. AshleyDutton1 Initiate Member

Hi all, i setup a new 20 litre fish tank i bought from pets at home 3 days ago and added some decholrinator and bacteria from my old tank (filter media) and the water went clody a day later and now its cleared up and i have also done a 20% water change and the ph is at 7.8 and has not changed attoll.

is my ph safe and can i put my fish in ?

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

pH is the last thing you should be worrying about. The levels that need to be tested are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, which should be 0, 0, and 5-20, respectively.

Without having an ammonia source (i.e.-fish poop) for three days, I'd be concerned that most of the bacteria that was transferred from your old tank has died off.

Is there a way you can test your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

3. AshleyDutton1 Initiate Member

unfortuneateley not,ime using a digital water tester that shoes me the chlorine and ph level only .

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Well, honestly, without a way to test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, the only thing you can do is add the fish and hope your bacteria didn't starve off. Since it's only been three days, you should have some bacteria left (they will have fed off their dying colony mates), so I think you should be okay.

What kind of fish are you planning on putting in your tank? It's a 20L (~5 US gallon), right?

5. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hi and :sign0016: to FishLore!

Two tips:
    1. If you're going to put fish in, do it soon.
    2. Get a test kit that measures ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.

Cheers!

6. AshleyDutton1 Initiate Member

ime not sure what type of fish they are :L they look like small sharks and i bought them from a mixed tank at pets at home

7. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

No, no, no, no, no. It is your responsibility to know what species of fish you are purchasing, especially for such a small tank. Just because a fish is small at the lfs, doesn't mean it stays small.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore!!

It's really important for you learn about the nitrogen cycle and get a proper test kit.

Basically:
    First the ammonia (from fish waste and left over food) will rise.

In a few weeks bacteria will start to develop, the nitrite levels rise and the ammonia levels start to drop.

After a few more weeks a different kind of bacteria begins to develop, the nitrate levels rise and the nitrite levels drop.

Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to fish.
    So until the cycle is complete and enough bacteria develops to process the toxins, keep the levels down with 50% daily water changes.

If your pH differs greatly from tap to tank 2 25% changes a day would probably be safer.

Using a water conditioner that will detox the ammonia for 24 hrs between water changes will help the fish.
    When the readings are 0 on both ammonia and nitrites with some nitrates showing, the cycle is done.

If you could post pictures of the fish, the members could ID them for you.
    Sadly, your size tank can't really accommodate very many fish.

Good luck!

9. AshleyDutton1 Initiate Member

OK, fish seem to be doing great in the new tank and its showing signs of cycling now.

i went trhough the reciepts from the pet store and found my fish species is called a minnow or fathead minnow and i have 2 of them.

10. AshleyDutton1 Initiate Member

Sorry guys and gals, i messed up ime 100% sure they are comet goldfish but to be sure ime going tio get my camera out tommorow and take pic for all you ot ok thnx.

11. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately they will need MUCH more room than that. I would recommend returning them and doing more research on fish keeping here. As LyndaB said, you absolutely must know what kind of fish you will be getting, and everything they need. You also really need a reliable test kit for at least ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. PH, KH and GH are good too. If you can, a larger tank would be great too. Bigger tanks are more stable and easier to care for. Not that a 5 gallon tank can't work, but 10 would be better. 20 would be great.

Also, welcome to FishLore!