Is it safe to order fish off of the internet?

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am a little worried about buying fish off of the internet
and having them shipped to my house

do they generally make it through the shipping process?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO it's not the smartest thing to order anything live through the net but I know many members that do & are perfectly happy doing so. I've just got this thing about wanting to see what I'm paying for before I get it. I don't want to order a fish & find when I get it that it's got health problems or has appaling breeding lines or anything like that. If your to order fish or plants from Fishlore members that deal with such things your probably pretty safe but I'd leave the online companies alone. Make another 10 posts & you can use the Fishlore Classifieds section to see if anyone is selling what your after.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I ship lots of fish using both Express mail and Priority mail. I haven't had any losses with either method.

Slug

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I buy all of my discus from a guy in California and have them shipped to me. But I trust him and the source. It all depends on where you are buying them, who you are buying from, and what type of fish you are buying.

Also, I wouldn't buy fish over the net without anything but overnight shipping.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Like was said above, it depends on where you get them from. And just some food for thought. Whether they are sent to you or a fish store, all fish are shipped. I know most online fish stores have something approaching 99.9% live arrival rates and offer live arrival warranties.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As said above, the fish do get shipped at some point. It's just a matter of not being able to see the fish you buy in person. I've bought from a member in the forum and aquabid, and both times worked out great.

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have used live aquaria a couple times with great success. One time a couple corals died in transit unfortunately which was the work of the ups guy because he handed me the box upside down (it had arrows with a sign this side up). They gave me the option of credit or refund with no questions asked and I highly recommend them. I sometimes have to order offline because of the lack of Saltwater shops around me.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads